Capstan winch questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I recently posted some pics of some property I’m working on buying. On the property are several decks of mixed species wood that were slated to be chipped, but the chipper dropped the ball and never got it done. I’m hoping to turn as much of it as possible into firewood.
I’m not spry enough to be clamoring around on top of a log deck with a chainsaw so I have been thinking about purchasing a capstan winch to slide the logs off the top of the deck and to the road. The pull is only about 40’ so I am basically only pulling them far enough to get them on the ground.
Most of the wood is under 20” diameter but there are a few larger pieces. There is a good anchor stump across from two of the decks, but on one of them I would likely have to anchor off of my truck.
I looked at the Simpson winch, but I am thinking the larger Portable winch would best suit my needs if a capstan winch would work in this situation.
Has anybody used a capstan winch for this type of operation? Also dumb newby question, if I use my truck as an anchor, does the truck have to be in line with the pull or can I pull at an angle off the hitch without doing damage?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a portable winch PCW5000 series. It is pricey, but it is awesome and would work well for your application. They have a 3000 series, which would probably be all you need and it’s lighter and cheaper. The new battery one is on my shopping list. Sorry I just saw the original posting date.

I have a portable winch PCW5000 series. It is pricey, but it is awesome and would work well for your application. They have a 3000 series, which would probably be all you need and it’s lighter and cheaper. The new battery one is on my shopping list. Sorry I just saw the original posting date.
Hey I know it's been a couple months since your posting of this but you said you had the PCW5000 portable winch, I was interested in wether yours shuts off all the time if it gets leaned over? I've heard that the GXH50 engine on the 5000 has to be kept level or it kills the engine. I just acquired the PCW4000 that was *supposed* to have the GX50 engine which is omnidirectional but it instead has the GXH50 engine like the 5000.. was wondering just how much of a headache it is because I might have to return the one I got if it is going to be a problem.. eBay listing, good deal, didn't notice until now and am to receive it in next few days so I wanna know if I should return it or try it out first

I own the 3000 and it is all directional. I don’t know how I ever got along without it. Love it. I didn’t notice the 5000 was not until after I received the 3000. A friend of mine at American Honda explained the difference to me. It’s gonna be a headache if you work on uneven ground or anchor to a tree anywhere above the ground. If the 5000 tips over it shuts off. The 3000 will run upside down until it runs out of gas.

And I will say this. I’ve not hooked up to anything I couldn’t move. I recently pulled 1200 pound log uphill for about 40 yards. 45 degree grade. I used a second pulley and it just slid uphill. The yellow log nose protector that PWC sells is an awesome accessory. It steers the log over stumps, around trees , thru gulleys and other stuff. Also helps keep dirt off the log. You should look into that too.

I own the 3000 and it is all directional. I don’t know how I ever got along without it. Love it. I didn’t notice the 5000 was not until after I received the 3000. A friend of mine at American Honda explained the difference to me.
I ended up sending the winch back for a refund, it seems I was accidentally sent the 5000 instead of the 4000.. I wouldn't want the 5000 because it's so heavy (36lbs) and the oil sensor issue that kills the engine if it tips, and the fact that the 4000 has essentially the same pulling capacity yet weighs 10lb less. I'm surprised to hear just how powerful the 3000 is but I'm still going to get the 4000, higher line pull speed and more power never hurt.

3000 is only 26 lbs. Line speed will be the same as all the others and the rope that can be used is the only limiting factor as multiple pulleys can be incorporated. At the time I bought mine the 4000 was not available. But the choice was simple as I have to carry the thing in and out of the woods and live in mountainous terrain. The lighter the better. It never disappoints. Good luck with yours.
Oh, I’m 70.

Well actually that's not the case..The line speed of the 3000 (33ft/min) is slower than the 4000 (44ft/min) (and only weighs 20lbs vs 26lbs for the 4000) see link for specs: https://www.portablewinch.com/collections/pro-series the 4000 is significantly faster and more powerful than the 3000 I think the transmissions on the 3000/4000 might be the same but the pulley is smaller on the smaller engine winch

Well heck, you haven’t even run one and you know more than I do. Lol

Just because I was doing research lately for my purchase, figured the 4000 was the way to go, might be a little more money but it pulls faster and with more power which is never a bad thing. Hopefully by next week I will be running the 4000 and hearing from you how well the 3000 pulls I think it'll be super helpful

I have the 5000. It really doesn’t pull like I was hoping, so I mounted a 12,000 pound winch to the front of my trailer. That’s much better.
It shuts off when tilted, but that’s manageable.
But I still keep it around in case I can’t access a log with the truck/trailer.

Back