Carb Cleaning Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambull01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just got a new used 6421 from HD. Saw looks great, actually looks like it was barely used. Piston looks good, at least to my newb untrained eyes. Only issue is there's some orange paint under the filter cover. I removed the filter and there was some residue in the air damn or whatever you call it. Pics:
IMG_20141203_214745_zps3b58fc42.jpg
IMG_20141203_214811_zps6cd2c7ad.jpg

I removed all the paint residue from those pics and blew out all the loose stuff. Now, should I be safe and remove the whole carb to do a proper cleaning? I don't want to run this saw and ruin it. Reading about all these top end seizures has made me paranoid.

I would remove the carb and clean things up properly. All it take is removal of the two screws. I guess the spray painted the saw orange while it was running? are you sure it's paint and not some residue of some type? I've never seen anything like it.

I would remove the carb and clean things up properly. All it take is removal of the two screws. I guess the spray painted the saw orange while it was running? are you sure it's paint and not some residue of some type? I've never seen anything like it.

Two screws, that's it? Nice. Yeah I think someone sprayed a can of orange paint while it was running, only thing I can think of. Have no idea why someone would do that. I'm sure it's paint because I scraped it off with a tiny flat head screwdriver and you can definitely smell it.

I guess (hoping actually) paint may not be as bad as dirt/dust. I would think something like carb cleaner could dissolved the paint vs dirt.

I removed all the paint that you see in the pics and pulled the choke shut before I scraped. Just not sure if anything sneaked through. Damn, I was really looking forward to running this saw tomorrow.

If it's running okay, leave it be. I know that HD uses orange paint to mark their used or return merchandise. It sure looks like paint to me. Just strange that they would spray under a cover. :confused:

Well I haven't ran it yet, just bought it the other day. Brought it home and looked over everything and found that crap. It is HD orange come to think of it. I know, what freaking idiot thought about spraying paint on a damn air filter!!!!

Well I haven't ran it yet, just bought it the other day. Brought it home and looked over everything and found that crap. It is HD orange come to think of it. I know, what freaking idiot thought about spraying paint on a damn air filter!!!!

Inspect it, look it over and clean it up to your standards.

Start it up and go from there. No need to mess with the carb if it runs fine. ;)

I removed all the paint that you see in the pics and pulled the choke shut before I scraped. Just not sure if anything sneaked through. Damn, I was really looking forward to running this saw tomorrow.

It will only take a few minutes to remove, clean and reinstall the carb. Remove the rubber cover to allow access to the carb screws, they are T27 like most over the other fasteners on the saw. Carefully twist the choke lever in the appropriate direction and remove it from the saw. Squeeze the throttle triger, with the trigger fully depressed grab the carb throttle shaft and release the trigger. The throttle cable will have enough slack to allow removal from it's seat.

Inspect it, look it over and clean it up to your standards.

Start it up and go from there. No need to mess with the carb if it runs fine. ;)

Sounds good. Everything else looks great. I may spray some brake cleaner or WD-40 like you suggested and run it tomorrow. If it breaks I'll probably cry.

Rumor has it, not all HD employees are rocket scientists. I've seen used power tools that were completely painted orange, just to make sure that no one bought it and brought it back after a period of time, claiming that it was bought new and now was defective.

It will only take a few minutes to remove, clean and reinstall the carb. Remove the rubber cover to allow access to the carb screws, they are T27 like most over the other fasteners on the saw. Carefully twist the choke lever in the appropriate direction and remove it from the saw. Squeeze the throttle triger, with the trigger fully depressed grab the carb throttle shaft and release the trigger. The throttle cable will have enough slack to allow removal from it's seat.

Okay got it, thanks. I may have to look up the choke lever, not sure exactly what that is. Sorry, I'm a chainsaw idiot.

^ That and perhaps to make parts swapping a little easier to notice.

Sounds good. Everything else looks great. I may spray some brake cleaner or WD-40 like you suggested and run it tomorrow. If it breaks I'll probably cry.

I personally would inspect the piston and cylinder by removing the exhaust can and carb. You never know what else these rocket scientists may have done.

Latest posts

Back