Carb study

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the carb set up.

I marked this one for a guy once to use online. A B C on all ends to where.

A tank with fuel filter on end to carb
B primer to back in tank

View attachment 828958
Does line "A" have the fuel filter and run from the tank to the fuel inlet on the carb? Hard to exactly see in the picture...

I agree. Expertise is relative. I worked with Walbro once and those guys are experts. I had an old Craftsman that was probably 30 years old and could not find a replacement carb. So the guys at Walbro set me up with a kit and the thing ran fine once I got the hose connected from under the piston to the the carb for pumping fuel. Looked all over the place and finally found the issue - that's a piece of hose at the red arrow.

View attachment 828755

Look at the documentation here. I really learned alot from those guys.

https://www.walbro.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/HDAseries.pdf
They have a support system and will email you back and forth.

Thats your impulse line.

pimpulsecc.jpg
pimpulselinec.jpgpimpulselinetop.jpg

Forceps, got it.

What did I miss in my first post? I know it needs help with identifying inlets and outlets on these small carbs and that's a key part of getting the hoses hooked up correctly. I won't tell you how many times I've pulled on a starter only to have my son come out and say - hoses are set up wrong. Without even looking he knows because I've only gotten one little sputter at the very beginning. Then I'll step back and look and bang, hoses are usually all wrong. Only exception has been a plugged gas cap. I take some of the blame for the hoses because I've tried to short cut it and hook them up "the way they were". But I guess that's how I learn - by making mistakes.
I really like Walbro carbs, I seem to have fewer issues with them than these Chinese carbs. In your picture it looks like you had to reconnect the pulse line to the crankcase, that will definitely keep it from pumping gas!

I've had at least one small Ruixing carb that I finally gave up on fixing, i think an internal passage was hopelessly plugged. I just replaced the damn thing with a new carb on a Husqvarna leaf blower.

I just ordered a rebuild kit for the Zama carb on my McCulloch SP40, I'm interested to see inside it.

Same here about Walbro's. When I see a Nikki, Zama, etc that I need to go into I check price of new carb or replacement carb including the clones, then a kit. This gives me a heads up as to what I'm dealing with $$or? wise.
Some OEM small carbs are really expensive and even a kit cost more than a replacement clone carb. I can usually repair a Walbro and have been into some little chainsaw Walbro's that I had to go deep inside replacing little check valves that were not suppose to be serviceable.

I've not been into any Ruixing carbs. Is that a China carb or some kind of cheapie made by Walbro or what??? (I tried to review but ?????)

Same here about Walbro's. When I see a Nikki, Zama, etc that I need to go into I check price of new carb or replacement carb including the clones, then a kit. This gives me a heads up as to what I'm dealing with $$or? wise.
Some OEM small carbs are really expensive and even a kit cost more than a replacement clone carb. I can usually repair a Walbro and have been into some little chainsaw Walbro's that I had to go deep inside replacing little check valves that were not suppose to be serviceable.

I've not been into any Ruixing carbs. Is that a China carb or some kind of cheapie made by Walbro or what??? (I tried to review but ?????)
I've encountered those "Ruixing" carbs on cheaper / newer equipment, like a Homelite string trimmer, etc. They work fine for the most part, but seem more sensitive to adjustments being off, and getting plugged. Not to mention things like the primer bulbs, diaphragms rot and fall apart quicker.

The funniest part is that many times you can replace one of those carbs entirely for only a few dollars more than a repair kit! They are nothing like the Walbros or Zamas of yesteryear in terms of quality...

Back