Carburetor overhaul

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The saw starts good, but then after running for a couple seconds will quit. Continues to do this. Fuel filter replaced, some scoring on piston wall but does look OK (told by one person this condition caused by the scoring). New spark plug, all wires seem connected. Figured something might have gotten into the carb and is causing it to let a enough gas in to start it but not to keep it going.

Tom

Re: Question

Originally posted by stihltech
May I also ask why you feel it needs a kit?

Can I ask how often you put in carb kits?

I consider a carb kit a maintance item. Saw comes in for tune up and if they want to spend the money I toss in a kit. On average every 3 out of 5 saws that have a carb related problem need at least one of the gaskets or diaphrams that come in the shop...

jim ,what would a fella expect to pay for kit installation. labor i mean as i know difficult to find carb kits would probably be costly.

kits

Truthfully, I fix a lot more problems by fixing the air leaks first. If it has had bad gas, sure, it needs a kit. I do check for hard diaphragms and proper lever height. but the air leak is usually the fix.

First thing is I do when I bring in a saw is blow it off. If it runs, but won't stay running, ill start sprayin carb cleaner around the intake areas and carb base. If nothing there then I pop in fresh gas, check fuel fliter, pop in a new plug. Then nothing better, ill try and adjust it a lil. If its going to smoothe out ill toss the saw aside till the next day. Try again, if it is good, i send it out...

Tell ya the truth, it isn't very often I get air leaks, The occasional crank seal, occasional intake boot, pulsar lines are more common. Rest of the time its a fuel line or a carb problem...

I'd charge $18 labor at work to toss in a kit. Bring it to my house and its $10

Back