career change / consulting arborist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
Reaction score
As most of you all know, I'm just a run-of-the-mill climber who hurt my back last year. I am thinking about going back to school and/or renewing my ISA certification to become a consulting arborist. Does anyone here have any idea what the market demand is or what kind of money is involved? Recommended degrees? I have never been to college, but I hope to get enough money from worker's comp. soon to enable me to go. Any other comments or suggestions? Just at the thinkin' stage right now.

Back to School

Hi Brian,

Nearly everyone can get federal student aid to go to a community college, trade school, or university. Usually, the interest rates are low and often half of the interest does not begin to accrue until you finish with your studies. Be sure to apply for aid as soon as possible so that, if you do go to school, you'll have money ready and waiting for you. If you don't go, no harm done. You can apply at: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/. Remember, IRAs are not considered investments - they are retirement accounts.

I don't know how mobile you are, but FL universities are really expensive. If you could go to school in NC,TX, or VA, it would be cheaper for you as long as you declared in-state status.

Good Luck in whatever you decide,

Carroll

Thanks for your replies guys! Eric- I checked out that site and got the names and phone numbers of 4 local consulting arborists. I'm sure one of them might help me out with advice.
Chaingang-I checked out the federal aid site and the deadline for this year was July 1. I'll keep it bookmarked for next year, I can't fill out next year's app till Jan 1.

Brian,

Actually, you can fill out the financial aid/student loan form anytime between now and July 2002 for student aid for the 2001-2002 school year. Yes - retroactive aid. The key is to get it done as soon as possible so that you can get your money as soon as possible. What all of this means is that you might or might not get your money in time for this fall semester. But, you can definitely get the money for the fall semester either later this year or the beginning of next year.

My best advice is this: deadlines are important. But they are not written in stone. A polite, assertive, and determined student will find a way to open the doors that bar his passage to attaining a degree. Keep asking questions until you get the answers you need.

Please write if you have any more questions.

Good Luck,

Carroll

Hi Brian - just tuned in - congrats on your new direction. Having more good people to preach standards, uphold them in the field and teach others will only help this business.

I don;t know too much about the US education system, but I will bet, knowing the post secondary system here, that there are several programs that, given some leg work on your part to set up appointments and smooze them with your ambitions and experience, they can pretty safely say thay you would be admitted to a first-rate program. You will more than likely have to head for the mathmatics end too - hope that does not scare you - math is just numbers, and numbers work!

Consulting - lots of takes on that one:
Business end of tree care,
Estimation end,
Logistical end- coordinate crews,
Training greenhorns and upgrade training of the whiskers,
Equipment consultation - chippers, lifts, climbing gear.

Keep us posted, and good luck.

If you looked the site over you'll know that the field is as wide as general arboriculture. But several theams run through it; note taking, report writing, photography, note taking...

If there are four people in your area, will the market bear another? Could you work for one? Scout out some county clubs, especialy if they have new Supers. Sell yourself ans a woody plant manager, not climbing ability, but knowledge of growth habits of plants, why this one is not doing well.

What I found here is that they were at the whim of people who had something to sell, and were good at it. "that Norway died because it's feet are always wet, they need good drainage!" "soil mounding like that is one factor in the girdiling root problem" "Sycamore just owont doo well on this dry sunny hill." "Thats just ash anthancnose, if we spray them next year they'll hold there leavs in the spring and look good. It's a cool season disease so two sprays will protect well."

I have a friend thats retired once from NM state forestry and operates as a certified consulting arborist. He pulls in $80 an hour to say"your tree's dead, here's why" for insurance, etc. Made a mint after the Los Alamos fires. In NM there are only 5 certified consulting arborists, at least by the American Society of Consulting Arborists.

Back