Carlton 2512 chipper top feed roller issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_tiggy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi. So I was hoping someone could shed some light on my issue. I bought this 2010 Carlton 2512 (2000hrs) second hand and it worked great, as far as I knew(this is my first chipper and I have never operated any other chipper before) , but It looks like I might have an issue with my feeder wheel system. My chippers hydraulic yoke only goes up and down when I move the lever in or out. Now from what I am gathering as of late is that the top feeder wheel should move up on its own to allow various sizes of lumber to go through without me having to push the lever in to move the roller up. Is this correct? Is there some switch I need to locate to put the top feeder into a float mode? Or what else might I look at to fix this?

The impeller wheel should raise up as it feeds the log, working against the spring. Kinda climbs up fin by fin as it rotates till it gets on top of the material. Shoot a video of what it's doing (or not doing) and post it here.

Thanks for the replay. I video might be helpful. I could do that. Though what it is doing is pretty well nothing. It will not go up on its own. It just stays put unless I move the lever for it in or out. It will bind and stop if the I do not raise the feeder wheel when the size of the limb increases. There must be something amiss with the valve? I would assume it would be the valve that allows the feeder to float?

Latest posts

Back