Carlton 4012 vs Vermeer 372

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike G.

climber
Reaction score
Carlton 4012 vs Vermeer 372. I have to decide soon on which machine. Both are equiped with 35hp briggs Vangard motor. Vermeer has dealership fairly close. Carlton is approx. 600 miles, but can get local engine warranty for engine. So far I am partial to the Carlton. Any reviews or advice?

I've had a Carlton SP4012 for 5 years now - been a great machine. I'm planning on going to 7015 Track one of these days - maybe next spring. I have owned a few Vermeers over the years - good machines, never owned a small Vermeer but they were slower driving than my Rayco was - the Carlton is much faster walk pace.

Thanks Bigstumps for your comments. I do seem to like the Carlton a bit better. One concern though is that the dealership is far for me, but looking at the online manuals it seems that i can do any repairs like belts and such. have you needed much dealership support in your experience with Carltons?

Carlton 4012 vs Vermeer 372. I have to decide soon on which machine. Both are equiped with 35hp briggs Vangard motor. Vermeer has dealership fairly close. Carlton is approx. 600 miles, but can get local engine warranty for engine. So far I am partial to the Carlton. Any reviews or advice?

Mike, chk out the bandit 2550xp all hyd b4 u decide, should be in the same price range as
the carlton and vermeer, has a 38hp kohler or diesel 44hp...

Bob....:cheers:

I had a 7015TRX, then last year downsized to a 4012. I am about 1000 miles from a dealer. So, I bought mine both, from the factory.
Have had no serious issues with either machine, except for one hydraulic issue on the 7015. Called the factory and they talked me through the adjustment/repair it needed. Great support from the factory and great machines in my opinion.
Jeff

Has anybody bought or demoed the new bandits with hydro drive? With the 2250 and 2550 being brand new designs, Im a bit apprehensive to purchase. It has been tuff to get a price also. I ve left two voice mails and one E-mail to their sales guy.

Has anybody bought or demoed the new bandits with hydro drive? With the 2250 and 2550 being brand new designs, Im a bit apprehensive to purchase. It has been tuff to get a price also. I ve left two voice mails and one E-mail to their sales guy.

Mike, traded my 2150 for a 2550 a couple of months ago, no problems so far 100 hrs, dealer about 1 1/2 hr away, good to deal with, have the kohler 38hp on it, grease it once a week, no belts to mess with, have done 183 stumps, large and small, very good machine imo, only complaint i have is the very high wheel speed really throws the dust in dry conditions...

Bandit has since called me back and have been most accommadating ... seems like they would be good people to deal with and sounds like a great machine. I am seriously considering this machine. Thanks for the input, Bob and all.

Bandit has since called me back and have been most accommadating ... seems like they would be good people to deal with and sounds like a great machine. I am seriously considering this machine. Thanks for the input, Bob and all.

I'd demo them all!!! I went up to the show in Baltimore, the Bandit with the Diesel looked like they just got done putting it together, not very refined looking. The one with the smaller engine looked a little more finished. I'd be concerned with cutting power.

I'd demo them all!!! I went up to the show in Baltimore, the Bandit with the Diesel looked like they just got done putting it together, not very refined looking. The one with the smaller engine looked a little more finished. I'd be concerned with cutting power.

I have the 2550 all hyd, 4th grinder i have owned, well built, no diff in cutting power between my 2150 with 38hp kohler and the 2550 all hyd with 38hp kohler, if anything the all hyd has the edge...,,i am sure it would be better with the diesel but at my age it was just not worth the diff in money for me and the gas eng is adequate for all i do, i have done 5 ft stumps with it, but the 38hp is much harder on gas than the 27hp kohler, under full throttle u will only get about 1 hr per 2 gal and i use premium, might get better once eng has some hrs only less than 100 right now....i looked at a carlton 4012 the other day, the guy is going out of business, i could see no diff between it and the bandit and u still have the belts and bearings to contend with, but all in all like big stumps says look at them all and see what will work best for your situation..

I ended up getting a bandit model 2150, I like the 50" cutter wheel swing. Demoed the 2550. Very cool. I know the 2150 will tackle any stump even though its smaller. I look forward to up sizing to the 2550 w 44hr kubota when stump volume mandates. This is gonna be my company's first spring and as I expect to be busy, I want to see it to believe it. Dont get me wrong Im not a rookie, 24 years experience climbing for other companies. Only 2 months on my own. Thanx for all the help. the quote "look at them all and see what fits the best" was very helpful. I think I picked what fits me the best for now. Thanx Chad & Jason at Bandit Industries. You guys are top notch.

Last edited:
I just bought a SC372 about a month ago. 31 hours on it so far. A huge improvement over my old 252. About 4 times faster. two speed forward. Quick in high speed. A nice machine.

Mike

I ended up getting a bandit model 2150, I like the 50" cutter wheel swing. Demoed the 2550. Very cool. I know the 2150 will tackle any stump even though its smaller. I look forward to up sizing to the 2550 w 44hr kubota when stump volume mandates. This is gonna be my company's first spring and as I expect to be busy, I want to see it to believe it. Dont get me wrong Im not a rookie, 24 years experience climbing for other companies. Only 2 months on my own. Thanx for all the help. the quote "look at them all and see what fits the best" was very helpful. I think I picked what fits me the best for now. Thanx Chad & Jason at Bandit Industries. You guys are top notch.

Hi Mike,,,,I think u will be happy, there is very little cutting diff between the 2150 and 2550, u will be able to do most stumps in one swing as opposed to the 252, plus the hyd steering is nice, the 2550 came with 900 series greenteeth compared to 700 series on the 2150, i use deep dish reds, the only reason i traded 2150 on the 2550 was to get away from the belts etc, time will tell if i made the right dec or not, but at my age i probably only have a yr or two left anyway b4 i hang it up, just be sure and carry 5 gal ext gas if u are going to be working full throttle for over 4 hrs, really wish the machine had a larger gas tank....

Good luck...

Thanx, Bob. Good tip on extra gas can. Any advice on what size trailer you like best to haul this machine with? Do use a custom Bandit trailer?

Cheers, Mike :cheers:

Thanx, Bob. Good tip on extra gas can. Any advice on what size trailer you like best to haul this machine with? Do use a custom Bandit trailer?

Cheers, Mike :cheers:

I use a 6x10 with a 4ft lift gate, works great, have a tool box mounted on the side to carry my saws, etc.....also mounted a vise on top rail in front to make it easier to work on saws in the field..

Bob.....:cheers:

Trailer set up

I use a 16' Landscape trailer. 7K cap. The 372 and dingo just barely fit. Pull it with a F450 7.3L Diesel dump. Nice set up. Grind, clean up, and take away the debris all in one neat package. Some times we even come with topsoil and do the complete job w/ one truck. People like that!

Mike

Hi Mike you have any pic on the set up you use with the stump,mini and the 16ft trailer?

Latest posts

Back