Carlton Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
Hi There, I talked with Banta Saw Access of Cobourg Ontario today who is a distributor of Carlton products. Banta is the place where I got a 25' roll of A1LM chain within 18 hrs. delivered so I could send a loop to Mr. Galer of Montana.
Anyway, the owner John Luke and his son Scott knew of Walt.
I think Walt is becoming a household name here in North America.
I called John to see if he had a 1.3mm. 3/8", 16" Carlton bar that I could use on the Greffadized Jonsered 2171 when I compare the AM and WG racing chains. He had nothing in stock as 58 thou. seems to be the norm, however he will see if he can get me one as soon as possible. It's not that I cant use an Oregon etc., its just that we may as well give Carlton a plug since we are using their chain.
I asked John about the coining of the 1.3 mm drive tang and he said it was milled down from .058. John says hes been in the sawchain business since 1959. He told me that Carlton makes the chain for GB of Australia.
Ross Blanton of Carlton said he would try and find me a Carlton bar as well before the big race.
I dont mind giving Carlton products a try since other saw chain companies are having a tough time with uncertain direction.
John

Funny you mention that, I`ve been trying to get some info on their products and a gentleman by the name of Ross is trying to provide me with some.
The only Carlton chain I`ve spent any time with is their A-1.
A1small.jpg

It had been reground into scoring cutters with clearing cutters by someone else and I think they`ve destroyed the chain because none of them will hold an edge very long.
I will say that Oregon provides more than enough info on all their chains and I`ve been quite happy with them except for the secrecy behind the 70 series RA.

kevin,
seems you have found one of the problems with calton chain i had. can not get a file to cut it and when you do the stay sharp quility is very poor. the second problem i found with carlton chain was i had bought a roll a long time ago and i could not give it away. anyone that worked cutting the power lines had no use for it.
they did make a 3/8 low pro that had a good tight radius semi-cheisl corner for compititetion in the mini saw classes but i can no longer find it.
i am still looking for a loop to send walt to do his magic. i do not know if you read that post but, i will video tape the comparision between walts chain and one of mine for all to see. everything will be included in the video.
protect youselves; marty

Hi There, Marty is saying what John Luke of Banta Saw Access said about the low pro Carlton 3/8, meaning it cut faster than the larger 3/8 cutter, but it may not last as long.
Anyway Ross Blanton of Carlton made a few calls on my behalf and I will get a 16" Carlton Timber Champ pn/1681A160TS that will fit on the Greffardized 2171.
The beauty of it all was the dealer, Mr. Fix It, is only 20 minutes away, but I will have it here by tomorrow at the post office.
Now thats service! Thanks Ross.
PS, Marty, I bet I can make 3cuts thru an 8x8 Poplar faster than you with a slightly modified 71cc. saw.
Keep the Big Chips flying
John Lambert

Howdy John,

I'm glad to see you have made contact with John Luke. Banta was a distributor for Windsor when I was with the company. Some fine people there. Ross Blanton has been Carlton's field man for years, providing the backup for their distribution. He actually has been around longer than I have in the field. I was grinding sawbars in manufacturing when he was already travelling!

I see from the photograph that Carlton indeed has gone to the "coined" drivelink (although said to be ground, rather than die coined). This removes one small advantage I was in hopes of gainning for racing, but does make for a stronger chain. (It's been a good many years since I really looked at a Carlton chain, as you can tell!) I'll let you know what I observe in the filing, and you can tell me what you observe otherwise.

Regards,
Walt Galer

john,
sure, i'll run a modified saw against yours. mine is just an old 056 mag. how about when you get the "magic" chain from montana you bring art's too. i am real interested in how all these chains will do. i have a brand new 372xp in the box just waiting for the occasion. all the batteries for the cam-corder are charged and ready to go also. protect yourselves; marty:laugh:

By the way,

John, Marty is right. On a very small saw, that Carlton N1C can be made to really take off! For contest chain for a tiny saw, you might want to remember this one someday. (No guardlinks, of course).

One other thing: The harder to file, and hard on files thing may have a basis in fact. The Carlton is a bit better material, at as near the same hardness as possible, but due to additional chrome and nickle, harder on cheap files. You have to have good files. (Vallorbe, Pherd, etc.)
Staysharp should be as good or better than others, but can be destroyed if the chain has been on a grinder! Some folks can destroy it for several sharpennings in just one quick pass.

Regards,
Walt Galer

Hey, I`d like to be there for the sawchain shootout. Let me know when it`s happening. I`d also like to bring my saws down and see how they run compared to the saws you guys own. The Walkerized 346XP, Greffardized 385XP, and maybe I`ll even have a Ken Dunn 372XP by then. I`d really like to see how a Walkerized 372 stacks up with one of Kens "woods" saws. Russ

I may not be too far away from this one, either. Would like to see how the "old" 670 holds up against these "modern" saws. Need some red representation, right Dennis?

walt,
when you send johns chain back send a "magic" file too. i tried husky,phferd,premium,total,laser,true value,stihl and who knows what to file carlton chain. one file should last the life of a chain loop at the minimum. the ONLY time i use a grinder is when the chain is so badly rocked out its future is the scrap pile anyway. when i use the grinder it is a one shot deal, do not bring it back. protect yourselves; marty

joker e-mail

Hello russ,
sent you 3 emails but they wont go through. send me your phone no. or call me the sooner we get the 372 husky the sooner you can beat those guys in the great chain race.
ken
[email protected] 530-589-2744

i really need to clear things up here. is this run off going to be with just chains or are the chains going to be attached to modified saws. i truley thought that the comparasion was giong to be just the chains on a brand new saw of choice. everyone is more than welcome to attented but it looks like my home has already been filled. not a problem, we have a local motel. i am looking forward to meeting everyone in person. please, no "MAGIC" saws! marty

Hi Marty, I will be doing tests with saws that have been slightly modified for logging and three different chains on a 16" bar.
The saws I will use are: 2171 by Den, 372, 385, 044Arctic, 357XPG all by Walkers and 2 346XP's, one by Den and another stock appearing 346 by Ken Dunn solely for racing. Come on up if you like.
I got my laminated Carlton bar today so the tip is the same gauge as the bar rails obviously. It is made in Taiwan, but this doesnt bother me.
John

Hi There, I just filed a Carlton chain for the first time and it does better with a 7/32" file. I used a Jonsered file, I got a 12 pack from the Chainsaw Brothers, I wanted 13/64, but made a mistake and asked for the 7/32", but thats ok now, cause I can use it on 404 chain for the 070. as well.
John

john,
even though the 372 and 44 have been modified i can see comparing them because they are the same cubes. the 346's are the same but the 357 will only be compared to it self. same for the 385. do you have a base line from stock saws to start your comparions? i am just a little confused as to what exactly you are comparing. i am not busting b**ls, just help me out.
protect yourselves; marty
ps ofcourse comparing the 3 16 inch chains to each other on the same saw i understand.
pps e-mail with directions to your house. next time i go to the falls i will look you up. i am 6 hours from the bridge. i will bring the camcorder. i am sure everyday will have something new instore. i hope the law understands what happens when two loggers get together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Marty, although there appears to be no rhyme nor reason to my method, no matter what is done there may be no concrete definitive results. There are to many variables, such as a broken in stock 372 may cut faster than a 385 on its first tank. Plus we have have hardness of wood, technique and the way the chain was filed for any given saw and the hardness of the wood to be cut and its dia.
I can only deduce the whole thing to good natured fun and the opertunity to meet other sawyers and learn and teach what I can.
Come on up anytime you like Marty, Im only 2hrs. from the Falls.
John

Back