Carrot topping palms???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJollyLogger

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So down here in Corpus we had that freeze a month ago, got below freezing for 40 hours plus, and all the palms are suffering, or just dead. I know next to nothing about palms, but we have a bunch of hacks... and I call them hacks mostly due to their safety practices... carrot topping everything in sight. This practice just flies in the face of everything I know about arboriculture, but maybe I am wrong?

So down here in Corpus we had that freeze a month ago, got below freezing for 40 hours plus, and all the palms are suffering, or just dead. I know next to nothing about palms, but we have a bunch of hacks... and I call them hacks mostly due to their safety practices... carrot topping everything in sight. This practice just flies in the face of everything I know about arboriculture, but maybe I am wrong?
Yeah, ANSI300 standards I think say you should not raise the fronds above the horizontal. Carrot topping looks plain ugly too!

Correct. Carrot topping, or “hurricane trimming”, is not considered a proper pruning practice by the ISA. BUT post freeze damage, all of the dead fronds need to be removed - whether they are above 90 degrees or not.

• Aim High, Climb Trees •

Latest posts

Back