Cast Iron Cookware

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thjs is my daily cooker the last thjng in there was a diced up potato and scrambled eggs. the wiped out with a paper towell
Yes, looks like my daily skillet, too. Good ol Lodge. Mine's not seasoned as well, though. If I have something that stuck a little after I'm done, I spray a little oil in it while it's hot and wipe it out with a paper towel.

if it gets sticky i just run it under the hot water and use my stiff dish brush to clean it dry it and warm it up on the stove and put mor oil on it. it was the first one i restored and i cooked pasta sauce in it shortly after it was seasoned. the acid in the tomatos etched it i was sad, but it didnt change how well it cooks just looks dull when there isnt any oil on it

today's menu includes some pan fried venison... planning on using one of my cast iron pans since will be also :barbecue:, too!

other nite in SS pan...
P1010035.JPG

today's menu includes some pan fried venison... planning on using one of my cast iron pans since will be also :barbecue:, too!

other nite in SS pan...
View attachment 892670
Looks good. I wish my Brother had gotten a deer during bow season, but he was plagued with various health issues so he couldn't go much. I miss deer meat.

i have to ask why you did
A little pressed chicken thighs and corn sticks with Sierra cup honey-brown butter
87bcc28373009fa7b2524d6163f189a0.jpg

18584837feb919bda9e3677e51e48582.jpg

sitting by my Cast-Iron Atlanta 27
afccc588ba8c5b2973019c5373781d37.jpg

Hope everyone’s doing well !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have to ask why you did the chicken in the grill pan on the grill rather than juzt on the grill?

i have to ask why you did
I have to ask why you did the chicken in the grill pan on the grill rather than juzt on the grill?

Two reasons
Had heat up high with lid closed to bake cornbread and more even heat distribution from stone to pan
And to not loose the chicken juices from being pressed

And I was rebuilding/rehabbing a mini garden cultivator at same time so didn’t have to watch for chicken flare ups

And 3rdly I guess cus it was in cast iron :))

That’s my ****** road side BBQ find and pick up that sits out in winter and doesn’t cook super even

I started using a 8" pan around a month ago, it was sitting around forever here never used

It has cast instructions on the backside for the seasoning process ( 300 degree for 1 hour let cool )

I do like for eggs ......have seasoned it several times in the past month which makes me wonder how often you guys season your pans

I started using a 8" pan around a month ago, it was sitting around forever here never used

It has cast instructions on the backside for the seasoning process ( 300 degree for 1 hour let cool )

I do like for eggs ......have seasoned it several times in the past month which makes me wonder how often you guys season your pans
It gets seasoned every time you cook in it. So the more you cook the better.

I don't do the oven style seasoning unless something bad happens to the pan and removes the seasoning that's on there. Pan gets wiped out or rinsed out quickly with water. Then the pan gets put on the stove to dry and then gets wiped with a thin coat of oil.

I pretty much cook 100% in either cast iron or carbon steel. Only time I don't is when I'm doing something acidic like sauces or boiling water. That gets done in stainless steel.

OK that helps ....it's my new toy so you know how that goes. thanks
The more time you spend with it, the better you will get.

Don't be afraid to hurt it, if you mess up the seasoning and strip it or make it sticky by using too much oil or not getting it hot enough, you can just start over. Strip the pan by running it through a self cleaning oven. That will take it down to bare cast iron and you start over with a brand new seasoning.

When I first started I was always affraid of screwing something up so I just wouldn't use them much. Once that monkey was off my back and I knew I was only a few hours away from a bare pan again, I really started getting into cast iron cooking.

I got so sick of buying pans every other year...it's been 7 years now since I've bought a non cast iron pan because I just don't use them and cast iron obviously lasts lifetimes.

Two reasons
Had heat up high with lid closed to bake cornbread and more even heat distribution from stone to pan
And to not loose the chicken juices from being pressed

And I was rebuilding/rehabbing a mini garden cultivator at same time so didn’t have to watch for chicken flare ups

And 3rdly I guess cus it was in cast iron :))

That’s my ****** road side BBQ find and pick up that sits out in winter and doesn’t cook super even

my current grill is one i picked up on the side of the road it is stainless i cleaned it up really good and then i called the mfg and found out that the burners heat deflectors and cooking surface grates all have a lifetime warranty and will be replaced for free i just have to pay for the shipping. so for a little elbow grease and some investigation i have a rebuildable grill for free. last year i took the manifold out and cleaned and lubricated all of the valves. it cooks good now. i want chicken and corn bread now

my current grill is one i picked up on the side of the road it is stainless i cleaned it up really good and then i called the mfg and found out that the burners heat deflectors and cooking surface grates all have a lifetime warranty and will be replaced for free i just have to pay for the shipping. so for a little elbow grease and some investigation i have a rebuildable grill for free. last year i took the manifold out and cleaned and lubricated all of the valves. it cooks good now. i want chicken and corn bread now

Was it a “Bull” by chance ?

Latest posts

Back