Cast Iron Cookware

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No uniquely ‘cast iron cooking’ stories to share, other than because they are so heavy, and a pain to put away, and because they stay on the stove after cleaning to dry and season, they tend to get used more frequently.

Did a burner-to-oven recipe tonight, and used one for for light frying the other night. The cleaning stuff gets easier with practice.

Philbert
as the pans get more patina they become even easier to clean. mine stay on the stove most of the time. i would hang them on the wall but wife wont let me

Picked up a Lodge Dutch oven at a good price. Thought I was ordering the lid with the handle, and the little bumps on the inside of the lid. But this lid can actually be used as an additional pan, and fits my 10-1/4” skillet, so it’s a set! Pretty smooth on the inside, which is nice.

View attachment 903604

Philbert
slick!

Unless you break it, cast iron is forever. I’ll never cook in anything else. It’s nice to have old school stuff in this throw away society
cast iron is nice! but for me, i like my other pans, too. specialized fry pans to copper n stainless, pots, pans, friers... the latter hanging in custom large kitchen pot rack over several Boos blocks... installed many moons ago, DIY. and i am sold on my OXO hd fry pans. :yes: small i use for this that, egg, too. but the large... eggs only. and in butter only. the perfect egg fry pan. took many yrs and several tv promises as to this is the pan! ... finally, i caught it on a cooking show test equip segment. like a cold :givebeer: after a long day mowing on hot afternoon... that larger OXO fry pan is awesome! :numberone:

speaking of beans.... dogs in a cast iron pan...
zzzzxbrws.jpeg

put up a couple of ham hocks some months ago. freezer. planned to smoke, then use for smoked ham hocks n cabbage. about 2,2.5#s each... got one thawing slowling in other refer, all wrapped up... long, slow thaw. might slow cooker it, but also thinking mite scrub up one of my cast iron pots/DO's with lid... dedust more or less... heat and oil... and put it in oven very low for a long time. maybe up to 18 hours. 175f or lower. maybe on lowest. couple recipes for pork hocks i like...

1621526248953.png

Picked up a square (9X9) griddle, enameled on the outside, today at Goodwill.
0CCD6A25-9C7D-4503-ACA3-3AD3F9C2A1E0.jpeg
91496F27-1D74-46CA-96E7-82D33A3835AC.jpeg
4984658B-BFA3-4865-9736-F010E040492E.jpeg

I normally use a 2- burner griddle, but the TV chefs use these a lot, so I thought that I would try it.

No idea what brand, but it cleaned up nice. Used it tonight to grill some vegetables.

Philbert

Well....I guess I did it. I needed some pallets because I've got some firewood laying on the ground. I swore I wouldn't let it lay this long. So I went dumpster diving. A lot of new construction going on in a high priced subdivision down the road from me. Several dumpsters around. I found 3 pallets in one and then moved on to another one.
And I found this. A 12" Lodge skillet. Looks like it was only used a couple of times, burnt some food and then pitched it. Some surface rust on it and burnt on crud in the bottom. Should be an easy cleanup. The skillet next to it is a 10". And yes, I'm burning my hash browns :laugh: . Running around looking for the camera card.

Attachments

• IMG_0628.jpg
    IMG_0628.jpg
    875.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0629.jpg
    IMG_0629.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
Well....I guess I did it. I needed some pallets because I've got some firewood laying on the ground. I swore I wouldn't let it lay this long. So I went dumpster diving. A lot of new construction going on in a high priced subdivision down the road from me. Several dumpsters around. I found 3 pallets in one and then moved on to another one.
And I found this. A 12" Lodge skillet. Looks like it was only used a couple of times, burnt some food and then pitched it. Some surface rust on it and burnt on crud in the bottom. Should be an easy cleanup. The skillet next to it is a 10". And yes, I'm burning my hash browns :laugh: . Running around looking for the camera card.
score

i have been looking for a no12 griswold pan that was in decent shape and didnt cost an arm and a leg. I finally found on on ebay and managed to win the auction. yay so excited it is a birthday present to myself. it came the other day and here it is.
20210925_191703.jpg
im so sad and dissappointed it was broken during shipping.

i have been looking for a no12 griswold pan that was in decent shape and didnt cost an arm and a leg. I finally found on on ebay and managed to win the auction. yay so excited it is a birthday present to myself. it came the other day and here it is.View attachment 932374im so sad and dissappointed it was broken during shipping.
That is very sad, that pan had such a long life only to be destroyed by shipping. Griswold collecting these days has gotten expensive. Wagner is catching them on price at the places I usually search, if you can find them open these days. Good luck finding another of that size!

Back