Cast Iron Cookware

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many smooth pans probably didn't get smooth overnight. Yes, there's big differences in casting quality and smoothness but at the same time think about those old pans for a minute. How many times have they been scraped down and scoured out. Think about every time a spatula or spoon has scraped the bottom. I've bought new 17" Lodgestone fry pan and seeing the pebbly surface gone straight to the garage for the orbital sander and heaviest grit paper I could find. The way I figure, do it now then cure the pan and I'll be happy.

Many smooth pans probably didn't get smooth overnight. Yes, there's big differences in casting quality and smoothness but at the same time think about those old pans for a minute. How many times have they been scraped down and scoured out. Think about every time a spatula or spoon has scraped the bottom. I've bought new 17" Lodgestone fry pan and seeing the pebbly surface gone straight to the garage for the orbital sander and heaviest grit paper I could find. The way I figure, do it now then cure the pan and I'll be happy.
You have a good point.

I have some "newer" old pans and can still see machining marks in the edges where the casting bumps were ground off.

OTOH my modern lodge griddle is a bit rough but cooks great and does not have sticking problems at all. It is almost like the pock marks hold oil and prevent things from sticking.

I have several cast iron pans and pots. The older ones are indeed smoother inside than the newer Lodge ones. I agree the newer ones work well too.
I also have been dabbling in the carbon steel fry pans. The Lodge one I got was pre-seasoned and works pretty well as far as non-stick. I imagine it will be even better with more use. The D’buyer, on the other hand, is really smooth, came with a coating of beeswax only to prevent rusting. I have had issues with my attempts at seasoning due to it flaking off easily. I’m actually tempted to roughen it up some. I’ll get it figured out, perhaps.

Cause you left?

I quit posting many food pics as many of the food based threads had slowed down a lot and I was more or less talking to my self LOL.

I have been doing a LOT of cooking with cast iron over the past few months. Have definitely become a better cook and stuff cooked in CI just turns out better.

bffd647fd5266950250db3feb8f76be2.jpg

Firehouse
Cast Iron Joe’s Special tonite

Erik

I cook exclusively on cast iron.

I have new lodge, vintage lodge, vintage Griswold, Wagner, BSR, and a couple un-marked. Most of them I use, some of them are just for show.

Love cast iron cooking. Nothing better and they'll last forever if you treat them right. The new stuff isn't nearly as bad as people make them out to be. I don't see any more sticking on my new lodge(after a good seasoning) than I do on my vintage (smooth as a baby's backside) pieces. They're heavier and not quite as nice looking...but they cook just as good.

There are some newer 'boutique' cast iron companies coming out that are producing some really nice smooth cast iron. Stuff like Butterpat, Finex, Field Co, and some others. Nice, but just as expensive as the vintage stuff.

Cause you left? I quit posting many food pics as many of the food based threads had slowed down a lot and I was more or less talking to my self LOL. I have been doing a LOT of cooking with cast iron over the past few months. Have definitely become a better cook and stuff cooked in CI just turns out better.

hi svk -

naw-w... I had nothing to do with it. its a good thread, for sure! :yes: the Teflon guys mite not like it, but if u like cast iron... this is swell. :D

the foodie threads did slow down I see. I mean... where's Ambox...? etc. and no doubt most still eat 3-squares.

I can add some stuff to the thread. I have a very nice cast iron collection of pots, pans, DO's, fry pans and related outdoor cooking items. oodles and oodles. i'll share some pix, too. I didn't find my cast iron, it found me... more on that later.

I, too, really like cast iron cookware. I have old, very old and new, too. who don't like a nice steak done in a really hot cast iron fry pan. can put that caramelization on the sides real nice.

I have cast iron pans on my stove in town and also out at the ranch...

3 cast iron fry pans and a steel platter plate I like to cook on, sometimes just use as a cover... I always heat the pan, add some cooking oil, just enuff to wet an area, then wipe it out so its fresh each time. clean, black and shiny or my food don't go in it... I mostly cook meat in the fry plans. steaks, NYS, chops and cuts, like pork. mostly lamb chops. I keep the tall one on stove and use it for smaller pcs as it fends off splatter... and I use my splatter screens when frying meats in the cast iron fry pans. I use canola oil as it can take a bit more heat. sometimes I add in olive oil towards end of cooking.
P7060001.JPG

I like to cook with cast iron pans outdoors, too. I also use cast iron on the grill as well, propane. more so just depends on what I am doing and my mood. it all is geared to edge over a bit closer to a more off-grid life style... w/o being too uncomfortable at the same time. lol ~ feeds my pioneer spirit well, too. :yes:

P7060022.JPG

Latest posts

Back