Cast Iron Cookware

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cook mainly on cast iron, and have been for a solid 30 years now, and one friend has tried many times in many ways to duplicate how good my fried taters & onions are, but never even comes close.
Many of my cookware are Wagner Sydney O and Griswald, and a few no brand name. No real modern stuff though, seems the old CI is still the best for me.
I have several old cast iron pans and dutch ovens (with legs that stick out from the bottom) and want to put them back in service, but they are rusted really bad. I have been told there is an electrolysis method of removing rust. Anybody got any insight on the method?

I cook mainly on cast iron, and have been for a solid 30 years now, and one friend has tried many times in many ways to duplicate how good my fried taters & onions are, but never even comes close.
Many of my cookware are Wagner Sydney O and Griswald, and a few no brand name. No real modern stuff though, seems the old CI is still the best for me.
I have several old cast iron pans and dutch ovens (with legs that stick out from the bottom) and want to put them back in service, but they are rusted really bad. I have been told there is an electrolysis method of removing rust. Anybody got any insight on the method?
sandblast em..I did it to a few I got on auction....nice...…..

Here you go.

http://www.castironcollector.com/cleaning.php

There is another method you can use. I have done this before with heavily rusted specimens and it has worked wonders but some say there is a risk of warpage or discoloration. NOT recommended for a valuable specimen.

You just throw the pan into a low fire and burn the rust off, just like a cast stove. You can use a charcoal grill, camp fire coals, fireplace coals, your wood stove, BGE or whatever. Idea here is to not heat them to red hot warp stage. Just enough to burn off the rust. I have had the best luck with this in my fire pit once it has burnt down to just hot coals. Pop the pan on to the hot coals, fill it with red hot coals and retrieve in the morning. Also works well for seasoned pans that develop an off flavor or a pan that, no matter what you do, just don’t cook well (cant get it to season). Good luck.

I also used the method of burning on the fire, just put an empty frying pan on the stove and warmed it

20181225_145650.jpg

Latest posts

Back