Cast Iron Cookware

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brunch today on a few of the recent acquisitions.

Attachments

• A4BE2B97-BFF8-498B-BB3D-3C6BF6D17F6A.jpeg
    A4BE2B97-BFF8-498B-BB3D-3C6BF6D17F6A.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 18
  • 31282CEF-4C78-4603-98BE-8FAD1B2D1246.jpeg
    31282CEF-4C78-4603-98BE-8FAD1B2D1246.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
I also a cast iron fan. I have couple old grizwald pans of my grandfathers I use quite often. I also use my Dutch ovens a lot too. Only reason I use my fire place is to cook with the Dutch ovens. The wife and kids have been on a peach cobbler kick lately last week I made venison stew and apple crisp. This week was chicken and dumplings and peach cobbler

I have a nice set of irons but unfortunately I have a glass top electric stove and I haven't used them in about 8 years. They dont heat evenly on the glass top and I cant justify installing a propane cook stove at the moment.

Everything I read says the flax seed leaves the best surface also but I've never tried. It seems like it would be worth building a few base coats with the flax and then finish it with a few rounds of your choice oil. The science behind it says it's because the flax fat polymerizes and has more of the polymers in it than say olive oil. It would be interesting to watch America's Test Kitchen do a cook study and season 5 different pans with 5 different things and see how much better it really is. They could do flax, olive oil, veg oil, coconut oil, butter/shortening.

You could switch to steel pans. You season and use them just like cast but they are soft enough so they will not scratch your garnet stove. DeBuyer is a good brand.

https://www.amazon.com/Buyer-MINERA...S1C95KRSARWW&refRID=Q5TPPF7ZS1C95KRSARWW&th=1

I just found a Griswold 866/867 in the barn.

Flax oil works very well on cast. It gives a nice black finish that looks just like black paint. Unfortunately, it also tastes just like paint but I will probably use it on the lamb. Not too sure what to do with the mold.

This was really good. FYI the steak is dark due to the rub. It was actually rare as desired inside. View attachment 785946 View attachment 785947 View attachment 785948 View attachment 785949 View attachment 785950

looks good svk! ~ I believe you!! :rolleyes:

j/k... little doubt in my mind, was perfect. what I liked best though... those big garlics. nice. :D I plan on one of my big portabellas today as I grill up this USDA Prime NY strip... was going to use a slider pan, but now will use one of my cast iron fry pans.

you inspired me! lol ;)
P6220014.JPG

ps: stay warm!

I also a cast iron fan. I have couple old grizwald pans of my grandfathers I use quite often. I also use my Dutch ovens a lot too. Only reason I use my fire place is to cook with the Dutch ovens. The wife and kids have been on a peach cobbler kick lately last week I made venison stew and apple crisp. This week was chicken and dumplings and peach cobbler

hi mh - I use mine for heat! lol... but my outdoor unit I often cook with. I have some cast DO's, but don't use them too much. more so, the pans...

ah-h, warms a body on a cold day...
P6230018.JPG

planning on some soon, too. gave neighbor bud of mine some yard eggs... day later he showed up at front door with a shopping bag...

the contents:
P6040003.JPG

I have a nice set of irons but unfortunately I have a glass top electric stove and I haven't used them in about 8 years. They dont heat evenly on the glass top and I cant justify installing a propane cook stove at the moment..

hope u get to use them soon Marshy - could try them over charcoal, fire... or maybe even and electric element. u know, those that are independent and u plug them in. not sure how hot the pan would get, maybe not as hot as over gas... but surely hot enuff for some...

hash n eggs, or eggs n cheese! :D

Latest posts

Back