Cast Iron Cookware

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tried a variety spices to season a steak over the years. from none to S&P only. no shortage of chef's good advice out there, and utube, and tv cooking shows. many like to use some course salt on the meat, and pepper then grill it. for a while I used to use a course kosher salt/grinder and then McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning. but, usually made me thirsty... lol... a bit after the meal. so cut out the salt, and use the Montreal. it has plenty! using no oil, I sprinkle it on one side only. use back of a spoon to 'spread it around and in' and let it go to room temp 20/30 mins while grill heats up if going to gas grill. often do. that long frying oil pan on my grill is on my Broilmaster. have had it for almost 40 years. still one heck of a great grill! I really like the flavoring the Montreal gives the meat. worth a try, imo...

View attachment 788720

and my preferred method on my Broilmaster... on wood, etc is dif. but on my Broilmaster, hot clean oiled grate, one goes the meat and then I cover it with a pce of tin foil. and let it both grill and roast. speeds up cooking time. typical steak 4-6 mins. then turn it, and recover. depending on other meats, if... and how the first 4-6 mins went... couple mins on other side covered, then depending... turn off grill. go about things for dinner. few mins. and let it semi rest in the heat to finish. always med-rare for typical 1- 1/2" cut. if in cast iron pan inside no tin foil cover, splatter screen only and a square of paper towel to help absorb splatter's.

the results are ideal, imo...View attachment 788721
I really like the Montreal and the spicy Montreal seasoning. My wife not as much. I am also looking for one of those seasonings that you can more or less cake onto the steak and it doesn't overpower. Montreal is a great taste IMO but it can be overdone. The steak I did yesterday was with Paul Prudhoe (sp?) Blackened Steak Magic and a little garlic salt. In reality I could have skipped the garlic salt. I did my wife's with just garlic salt and pepper. She said mine was better. Ironically she picked the traditional looking strip and I had the other one and mine was more tender.

This is what I used. Spice wise it’s spot on but could use a bit of coarse salt IMO. Granted my taste senses aren’t exactly that of a connoisseur as I have allergies which usually keep me at least partially congested so I salt and pepper my food more heavily than the average person.

5829C9E3-2D1B-4C38-801B-4526AFE1BBDE.jpeg

This is what I used. Spice wise it’s spot on but could use a bit of coarse salt IMO. Granted my taste senses aren’t exactly that of a connoisseur as I have allergies which usually keep me at least partially congested so I salt and pepper my food more heavily than the average person.
View attachment 788722

I have tried his brand on seafood, fish. I like it. called Seafood Magic

svk - how do u compare the Blackened Steak Magic against the Montreal. other than mite need some more salt. any one over the other?

you staying warm up there? got a post in from Alberta, Canada -31f and -50f 50 miles further up N... :cold:
Totally different tastes, both good.

If I was just seasoning a steak to grill I would do Montreal (preferably Spicy Montreal). If I was going to do black and blue steak and have some crumbled and/or creamy blue cheese then definitely the Blackened one.

If you shop Walmart and see their pre-seasoned steaks with "Steakhouse rub" that seasoning is awesome. I need to figure out what brand they use. It is a rub versus a seasoning so it is much thicker on the meat.

my favs! lots cinnamon w/apple. and blueberry and vanilla i.c. pretty hard to beat. like ur pie pans. lol. interesting. never thot of doing it that way...
Cast iron pans do the crust much better. I do wish I had a few "chef" pans as the sloped walls make removing the pieces a bit easier....The steep edges of the CI skillets do make getting the first piece out a bit of a challenge.

cleaned up and cooked on my fav cast iron pan other nite. just a pan. cast iron. small ranch fries. tasty!! then decided to take a bit better care of it, and cleaned the oil used out of it and cleaned the back sides n bottom. had rusted a bit. not by me so much but by guy I got it from used to see it just sitting on his patio porch for about 5 years before I was able to talk him out of it! :) it was quite reddish rusty when I first got it... might put over to 450f and let it sit in there for hour or so. maybe when I am 'home alone!' lol...
P8100005.JPG

P8170006.JPG
P8170007.JPG
P8170009.JPG

Best meal we’ve had in a long time last night.

Wife likes steak in the grill pan, I much prefer the traditional pan.

View attachment 805611View attachment 805612

I like that square fry pan! I mite tend to think almost every meal... 'best meal in long time'... after a day's work in those cold climes up there. bit N a click or two past the equator! ;) everything tastes best, imo... when bit cold, tired and hungry after long day at 'the grindstone'.

'bon appetite, chef svk!'

Back