Cast Iron Cookware

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Lodge chicken fryer with a lid that doubles as a skillet. I don't get to use it as much as I use to. The other day I pulled it out and did a quick meal. Nothing elaborate as some of your meals. Just brown some diced chicken with garlic and mushrooms, egg noodles and a can of black beans and white beans. After clean up with hot water, the skillet looks like this. Not the beast seasoning, but I heat it up on the stove and spray with olive oil before putting away.
So I probably need to strip and re-season. Since I have others that need it too, I think I'll make a bath. How much lye do you put with how much water?
if that was my pan, i would use it as is... clean it after use. water ok, imo. just heat to dry. put up, light oil inside perhaps. and with moist paper towel i pre clean, then oil then heat and use...

A friend was throwing this away. I got it and restored it. 22". Second pic is about the 3rd seasoning. I've used it quite a bit in the last 6 months. It's starting to get pretty good.
nice pan! :) i scrounged up my collection just as the family was heading to dump it all and some other stuff. estate disposal. said i could have all the cast stuff. then as i was loading it up, came out and said... 'do you want all this stuff, too? its headed to dump as well....!!"

:surprised3:

:baaa:

chestnuts roasting on an open fire...

roasted some more chestnuts last nite in my high sides small fry pan. (pot) tasty fare...
P6100033.JPG
P6100034.JPG

If I’m not doin dogs on the grill. Always cast iron. Only 3 pans we use. 10” lodge I’ve had for 10 years, my wife’s grandmothers 14” unmarked but made in USA and a nice stainless Allclad works good mindful of the heat and some good oil or butter
7F5B15A3-3637-411E-86F7-BD1FDDDFC28D.jpeg
208A10AE-4A2B-4B7D-8423-C7BF544FF5C4.jpeg

I just cook hotdogs in the microwave.

Wrap in a papertowel and 30-45 secs.

Most stove makers say not to use cast iron on glass cooktops.

We use our iron on a glass cook top all the time. Doesn't hurt anything unless you drop it or get rough with it. When I re finish one I always smooth the bottom a little to make it easier on the glass. But we've never had any problem.

From what I am told “glass” induction stove tops are actually garnet. Cast iron has been reported to scratch them but you can purchase soft carbon steel pans that work just like cast. De-Buyer makes some nice ones. You could also try a heat diffuser underneath the cast but results may vary.

and today went and got 2 #s more... they do cook up well in the cast iron pan...
View attachment 878860
I didn't know you could roast them on the stove top. How do you do it? I've got about a half bushel of Chinese Chestnuts and I looked it up on how you had to roast them. Something about scoring each one with a knife and then soaking them in water overnight. Then in the oven.

nice pan! :) i scrounged up my collection just as the family was heading to dump it all and some other stuff. estate disposal. said i could have all the cast stuff. then as i was loading it up, came out and said... 'do you want all this stuff, too? its headed to dump as well....!!"

:surprised3:

:baaa:
I found this pan at a private dump years ago when I was a kid. I use to shoot ground hogs that burrowed in his lane (old RR right of way) for the owner. it was in bad shape. I cleaned all the rust off with a wire brush in a drill and the soaking the inside with muratic acid while heating on a hot plate. Cleaned up well. It needs a little work now though.
IMG_0323.JPG
It's my grilled egg sandwich pan.

Has anyone used Evaporust to clean cast iron?
IMG_0321.JPG
I'm currently using it on a horseshoe that belonged to my Dad. He used to plow the fields when he was 14 with a team of mules, so It might be a mule shoe. Did they use shoes on mules? I found it after he was gone, so I couldn't ask him. Found it in my Grandfather's black smith tools. Possibly he even made the shoe.
IMG_0322.JPG

Has anyone used Evaporust to clean cast iron?
View attachment 879424
I'm currently using it on a horseshoe that belonged to my Dad. He used to plow the fields when he was 14 with a team of mules, so It might be a mule shoe. Did they use shoes on mules? I found it after he was gone, so I couldn't ask him. Found it in my Grandfather's black smith tools. Possibly he even made the shoe.
View attachment 879426
I have not used it on any cast iron, but did buy it to soak some tools that got rusty sitting in a truck bed box that leaked. It worked very well for that. I bought it because it was non toxic and I didn’t want the neighbors cat getting in the shed and then having to deal with all that mess. Didn’t think about trying it on a cast iron pan. Interested to hear what others have to say about it.

Back