Cast Iron Cookware

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it was up to me I’d go back to white appliances. Not a fan of stainless but that’s what she likes. White enamel cleans easy and takes a good shine. The glass top is fine, burnt on stuff cleans easy with an sos or sharp flat razor. I do like cooking with gas over electric tho

i have a number of old cast iron and it is very clear that they were sanded or ground smooth at the factory with a wheel that was the same size as the inside bottom of the panand the edges gave been ground smooth of the casting makrs probably. if i could have a stone that was flat and the same size as my pan i would use one for sure. I have a lodge pan from the 60z and there is a lot of materiel that could be taken out of the bottom which would make it weigh less and have a smooth surface.

have you tried drying your stove after just hot water and a dish towell? drying doesnt leave streaks

With a good microfiber cloth, and sort of "buffing" it, it'll usually work, though it's easy to wipe it down after a few sprays of Windex.

i have a number of old cast iron and it is very clear that they were sanded or ground smooth at the factory with a wheel that was the same size as the inside bottom of the panand the edges gave been ground smooth of the casting makrs probably. if i could have a stone that was flat and the same size as my pan i would use one for sure. I have a lodge pan from the 60z and there is a lot of materiel that could be taken out of the bottom which would make it weigh less and have a smooth surface.
Plenty of people have made new lodge cast iron smooth as glass with an orbital sander and elbow grease.

yes it just takes a lot of elbow grease. i have used various sanding devices to speed up the cleaning and polishing process

Tried this camp mix blend my sister got me for Christmas. I couldn’t wait till camping/fishing season to try it. Went real good on the burgers plus I was out of ground pepper
9B9330D6-687D-4AF7-B373-611E418B3C96.jpeg
7EC277AC-B95E-4B48-B139-72164674E9A3.jpeg

5315f28c4881a903c56d4eb22558e7ca.jpg

I have 2 to restore. The first is this griddle.
bb13da100147956d594d1c1db9c4b2e6.jpg

The second is a Wagner 9” frying pan.
86b7b5dd05937b0f5b8ceff639a7af93.jpg

Any advise on these?

1560cab74b7497c124362c56664e40f1.jpg

Are pans measured across the top or bottom? This is 9” across top.

Thanks,

Dave

How are you going to repair the chipped out piece?

One last question, what is the purpose of the fire ring on the bottom of some of the fry pans?

One last question, what is the purpose of the fire ring on the bottom of some of the fry pans?

Their is a vent. That chipped out part is on purpose. Not sure about fry pan question.

the fire ring is from when they were used on old wood stoves. you would remove the plate in the stove and put the skillett in the open hole and the ring was to help it make a smoke seal
My grandmother used a wood fired stove. Had electric too. Shed do the thanksgiving turkey in it. Good old days

oh i bet it was delicious
Everything she made was likely the case for all grandmothers. She was raised on the farm thru the depression. Didn’t have much but they ate well. I’m sure people in the cities had it worse. I wish I had her cast iron pans. That’s another story.

A fire or smoke ring was cast into some pans by the manufacture as a means to easily get the pans to sit flat. All you needed to do is grind some of the ring not the entire bottom of the pan.

The chip could be repaired if you still have the chip. You would need to braze it back into the pan and unless you are good a brazing the cost would probably be more than that pan is worth but the pan will work fine even with the chip.

Easiest way to clean up a rusty cast iron pan is with fire. Place the pans into a campfire coal bed, charcoal grill, self-cleaning oven etc and get them rocket hot. Let them cool down, give them a good brushing and re-season. There is some risk of warpage so it might not be something you want to try with a valuable pan.

My grandmother used a wood fired stove. Had electric too. Shed do the thanksgiving turkey in it. Good old days
Grandma used to cook the T-Day turkey in a Glenwood. It was usually terrible. Usually either burned or dried out. Tough to get the heat regulation just right and difficult to maintain.

Back