Cast Iron Cookware

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pulled this out of a house before the tore it down. Nobody else wanted to dig through the mess to get it. This and four others were under a pile of old canned food and trash.

Attachments

• 0445F4B1-7C62-4893-B68E-0894E273D945.jpeg
    0445F4B1-7C62-4893-B68E-0894E273D945.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
Grandma used to cook the T-Day turkey in a Glenwood. It was usually terrible. Usually either burned or dried out. Tough to get the heat regulation just right and difficult to maintain.
My father used to brag about my grandmother’s cooking. My uncle said it wasn’t that good. It was just that they were always half starved.

New additions
86699d6a9a59beb3fd89db83e4fbe2d0.jpg

Wagner 18x9 Griddle
Wagner Sidney-O 1268 pot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is a nice pot, I can’t find any that look that clean. Most look like they have been rusting in a land fill and have pits almost all the way through in places. Also can’t find one with a lid. Yours have a lid???

That is a nice pot, I can’t find any that look that clean. Most look like they have been rusting in a land fill and have pits almost all the way through in places. Also can’t find one with a lid. Yours have a lid???

No, but I have my grandmother’s “Pot Roast Only” pot with lid and trivet
e4622bca1ac179f5a09c257401ef8b73.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have one like that with the original lid ---- My dad bought it from an auction 50 years ago --- it was very old at that time. We use cast iron most of the time----food tastes better cooked/fried in cast iron.

the lid isnt correct but it came with that lid and i really like it. i make pop corn in it and its really good. make pot roast in it too

Attachments

• 20210130_144600.jpg
    20210130_144600.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 23
  • 20210130_144558.jpg
    20210130_144558.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 23
I didn't know you could roast them on the stove top. How do you do it? I've got about a half bushel of Chinese Chestnuts and I looked it up on how you had to roast them. Something about scoring each one with a knife and then soaking them in water overnight. Then in the oven.
I do a X on the bottom. a slice on the top. put pan on med. let heat up. put in chestnuts on the x. let heat til can see some black on bottom. turn over. do same. let cool. deshell. enjoy. if not creamy enuff (should be) then cook bit longer. any fry pan will do. but i like my small cast iron pot best. ie, small fry pan with sides...
P6100033.JPG
P6100034.JPG
P6110006.JPG

I found this pan at a private dump years ago when I was a kid. I use to shoot ground hogs that burrowed in his lane (old RR right of way) for the owner. it was in bad shape. I cleaned all the rust off with a wire brush in a drill and the soaking the inside with muratic acid while heating on a hot plate. Cleaned up well. It needs a little work now though.
View attachment 879423
It's my grilled egg sandwich pan.
interesting pan!

tacos big down here! lol :rolleyes: we like to use McCormick's Taco Mix with our ground meat. cook it, set pan to side so fat n grease renders to one side. scoop out. every lil bit we can. then follow tcao mix instructions. their mix is right on!

1612233939123.png

I do a X on the bottom. a slice on the top. put pan on med. let heat up. put in chestnuts on the x. let heat til can see some black on bottom. turn over. do same. let cool. deshell. enjoy. if not creamy enuff (should be) then cook bit longer. any fry pan will do. but i like my small cast iron pot best. ie, small fry pan with sides...
View attachment 886787View attachment 886788View attachment 886789
Looks like you score just one side? Shells are pretty hard-use a knife only?

Looks like you score just one side? Shells are pretty hard-use a knife only?
no, X on bottom, slice on top. they are actually soft, but care is needed making the slices as knife sharp and chestnut small. just cut thru the 'skin' sorta like a baked potato so as to release some of the water moisture. left uncut they can explode.... there is no shortage of info and pix online.

1612274739978.png

Back