Cast Iron Cookware

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some post rain Shepard’s pie and a warming fire
a5c7528df65c6b5496e2554178a29154.jpg

b8c3471742de3931df5bd011581b205c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone used Evaporust to clean cast iron?
View attachment 879424
I'm currently using it on a horseshoe that belonged to my Dad. He used to plow the fields when he was 14 with a team of mules, so It might be a mule shoe. Did they use shoes on mules? I found it after he was gone, so I couldn't ask him. Found it in my Grandfather's black smith tools. Possibly he even made the shoe.
View attachment 879426
I use vinegar. As a warning, vinegar WILL turn CI into brittle shale if left in to long (weeks) so keep soaks to 24 hours or less.

Texas 1015 onions?
hi ray - no, those are not. got some growing... and did get a big of this yrs season's 1015s other day. sweet deal all around. lol. 3# $1.98. those in pan are grocery store sweet... didn't seem too sweet when peeled :cry: but were when eaten raw and cooked...
P1010012.JPG

a5dbacdc7eae889866d614eab1ae6297.jpg

I did some catfish on my cast iron pizza pan. Oak charcoal with a touch of apple wood. Got the iron heated to about 400° with some olive oil. Catfish seasoned with a little Cajun seasoning. It was very good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I did some catfish on my cast iron pizza pan. Oak charcoal with a touch of apple wood. Got the iron heated to about 400° with some olive oil. Catfish seasoned with a little Cajun seasoning. It was very good!

Lookin’ mighty tasty !! I Gar un tee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

did you soak the catfish in buttermilk for 24 hrs first?

Svk's enthusiasm dragged me into this, along with a renewed interest in cooking. Used cast iron many years ago when working at a camp. Passed up many pieces at garage / estate sales since then. Ordered a Lodge 10" and griddle off that place named after a river to get started. Then, visited 3, different Goodwill stores over the past few days, figuring that buying some would cause others to appear. Some surprisingly good cookware available, if you don't need a matched set, but no cast iron. Yet.

Philbert

Svk's enthusiasm dragged me into this, along with a renewed interest in cooking. Used cast iron many years ago when working at a camp. Passed up many pieces at garage / estate sales since then. Ordered a Lodge 10" and griddle off that place named after a river to get started. Then, visited 3, different Goodwill stores over the past few days, figuring that buying some would cause others to appear. Some surprisingly good cookware available, if you don't need a matched set, but no cast iron. Yet.

Philbert
what size are you looking for i may have a piece to part with

what size are you looking for i may have a piece to part with
Thanks @pbilly .

I ordered those 2 pieces to get started; then I will decide if I want more, what types, sizes, etc. I regularly frequent garage and estate sales, and I am confident that I will run across stuff, now that I am looking for it. I would also like to try restoring some older stuff, just to try the process.

Philbert

Back