Cast iron pumps for OWF

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernie nw ON

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm busy hooking up an outdoor wood furnace and am getting conflicting information about circulator pumps. I hear that I need a bronze pump because it is a open (vented) system, and other people tell me that a cast iron pump is ok. Cast pumps are about 1/3 the cost of bronze. If cast is adequate for the furnace loop, how well will it hold up in the domestic hot water loop in my barn?
Thanks for any help or insight.

Bernie

Oxygen will eat up a cast

bite the bullet and go bronze.. if you are only wishing to do it once

I've been running an old salvaged cast iron circulator pump in my open system for 4 years now. It had been used for at least 3 years prior to that in a floor-heat system at a car wash. I'm sure it won't last forever, but I've been pleasantly surprised it lasted this long. I have 2 more backups ready to go as soon as it dies, so I don't worry about it too much.

So moral of the story, if you want to do it "right", get a bronze pump-but you can likely get by quite a while on an iron one.

I've been running an old salvaged cast iron circulator pump in my open system for 4 years now. It had been used for at least 3 years prior to that in a floor-heat system at a car wash. I'm sure it won't last forever, but I've been pleasantly surprised it lasted this long. I have 2 more backups ready to go as soon as it dies, so I don't worry about it too much.

So moral of the story, if you want to do it "right", get a bronze pump-but you can likely get by quite a while on an iron one.

you have some good luck!!! what brand is it?

you have some good luck!!! what brand is it?

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure exactly what brand it is. It isn't a name brand like Taco, B&G, or Grundfos (sp?), I'm sure.

Dad builds pressure wash systems for car washes, so I often get "recycled" items like this. I didn't expect it to last more than a year or two, but the price was right and like I said, I have backups.

I never used an brass pump..... I heard they last longer but I see most B and G last about 4 to 5 years. tacos about 3 days and there junk. Cast pumps have worked well with me.

I was searching ebay for a spare to keep on hand for my OWB and I found that there are numerous material cominations for the TACO pumos and I assume the other brands too. Some are not even rated for the temps the OWBs operate at so be real carefull if you are searching for a pump bargain. The pumps thatWoodmaster uses are cast iron case/bronze internals. They are lots cheaper than Bronze/Bronze and lots better than Iron/Iron. I sure hate to be drink'en the water that would rot through a cast iron case every year, LOL. Be real carefull if you scronge Ebay, the cheapos on there are mostly plastic internals.

Latest posts

Back