catalytic vs. non-catalytic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan70

Reaction score
Forgive me if I've missed this thread somewhere else but as a new homeowner who recently purchased his first home with an existing ss external chimney, no stove, and cut down 3 silver maples and split it by hand (for better solar access for the PV panels), I was wondering about people's experience with either of the above type of stoves. I recently split this wood, my sad soft desk worker hands have the blisters and callouses to prove it, and will be building a hearth this summer so the wood will have at least a year to season. We currently have an older metalbestos ss model 8" double walled exterior pre-fab chimney (at least I think this is the O.D. and that it has a 6" I.D. but I'll have to remove the sheet rock in the basement as we get closer to building the hearth) that I want to hook into. I'm really attracted to efficiency and I don't mind the maintenance that I assume comes with a catalytic stove, which I'm leaning towards them as A) they're slightly more efficient, B) burn longer and C) at least in theory they burn at lower temperature and longer on a given charge of wood (possibly safer due to lower temperatures?). I'm curious about people's experience with either of these types of stoves. Here in Northwest New Jersey, I don't think we'll burn too much wood and I certainly don't have a lot of wood so efficiency is definitely a concern. I'll probably mainly burn hardwoods, but would like to mix in some white pine and less energy dense wood as well from time to time. Please tell me your experience and opinions. Signed, a wood-burning newbie.

Hi there-everyone will have their opinion about this, but years ago I won a catalytic stove (Efel Symphony) in a drawing. I used it for one season and sold it and bought my current stove, a Dovre Aurora (non-cat). I personally didn't like nor want to fuss with the cat, plus it didn't heat nearly as good as the stove that it replaced that came with the house, a Godin stove. I personally find the non-cats to be easier to light up and hassle-free. Others I'm sure feel differently, but you asked of our experiences and that's mine. I was not happy with the Efel, and have had the Aurora since 1993. Listen to everyone's opinion, do some research, talk to the guys at your local stoveshop, and pick the choice that is right for YOU. Good luck! :greenchainsaw:

Opinions are like... well you know.

Everyone likes different things. I purchased a Vermont Casting Intrepid (it was their smallest stove) in 1993. I live in Maryland where it is not as cold as up North. However, I do use the stove the majority of winter evenings and almost every weekend during the winter. The Cat has never been replaced.

There is a cover that is accessed from inside the stove to remove and clean the Cat. I do this once a year. To clean it, I remove the two bolts holding the plate in place. I remove the Cat, vacuum it and replace. Total time is less than 5 minutes. That is it ~ simple as a fence post.

To light the stove, you simply open the damper which bypasses the CAT. Let the temperature rise to about 600 degrees for 30 minutes and close the damper. When the Cat is up and running, you get very little smoke from the chimneny. My chimney remains very clean with almost no creosote.

The stove keeps the intended rooms nice and cozy. Because of the small firebox, I do have to keep my wood cut no longer than 16".... not a big deal for me, although the guys up north would cringe.

Let me say clearly - I love this stove. I also have a much larger conventional Nordic strove in my basement. It does not get used at all and remains in place for emergencies only. The Vermont Casting Intrepid is the perfect match for my application.

Just my .02 - don't be afraid of Cats - they have their place and mine was a great investment.

Bill

I have owned cat/non cat models; We have used a Traditions T150 for around 6 years now;

The not cat secondary combustion puts out a much better fire show. With a cat the combustible gasses are burnt after they leave the viewing area and that combustion is not visible.
This is true, to a point; if you "choke" the air back hard on it, you will lose much of the fire show.

One argument is that cats need to be replaced in time
If you take care & not abuse the cat, it will last a good long time, IMO. When you initally fire it, let the stove reach good operating temp., then engage the cat; although, a good hot fire will "burn" off any cat residue! Actually, I am guilty of "rushing" the fire & not letting the stove come up to temp. before engaging it, & after several years of doing this, I inspected the cat; it is in great condition, no buildup/clogging, etc.

I will say that it does not seem to put out as much heat as the non cat stoves that we have owned; I would maybe suggest buying one that is rated at a slightly higher btu/ square foot rating than you need; talk to your woodstove dealer about this.

This model also has the optional blower built on it, makes warm air circulation nice. One nice feature that I do really like is that when you have the cat engaged, the flame/gases are routed thru that area, giving you an extra "layer of protection" in keeping the flame out of the chimney; Of course, many modern stoves have ductwork built in that also do that.

And; since the gases are circulated thru the cat., the stack temp is considerably cooler, i.e., more heat/efficency from the wood.

Would I buy another cat? ...Probably. I don't really feel the maintenance is all that much more, & it has given me pretty much trouble free, reliable service.

Listen to everyone's opinion, do some research, talk to the guys at your local stoveshop, and pick the choice that is right for YOU
I would recommend that, too. Do a alot of research, since a woodstove can be a sizeable investment.

Mine will only be in use another year or so, until we install the outdoor wood furnace!

Regards, katt :)

Ahhh the old Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge debate. I will add my 3 cents ( inflation and taxes ;) ) to the discussion.

I have a Vermont Casting Dutchwest stove with a catalytic converter. I personally like the stove and have not had any "quality" issues with the stove. The stove is built in Canada, I know some of the Dutchwest stoves were built in India during the 90's but it looks they moved production back to North America.

We live in a newer 1400 sq ft ranch and we use the stove for our primary heat during the winter. To my wife and I, the stove is there for heat and not ambiance so that was another reason we chose a stove that was more efficient than the others that we were looking at.

When I bought the stove, I knew that a stove with a catalytic converter would be a little trickier to use than a stove without. But like others have said once can get the hang of knowing when to fire the cat up it does not become a big deal. The stove was the same price as a stove without a catalytic converter but this stove is 15% more efficient. If my reasoning is correct that means that I need to burn and split 15% less wood during a given year.

Vermont Casting does have a warranty on the catalytic converter. The warranty covers replacement costs up to 6 years after you buy the stove. I cleaned mine out this past summer and it looks like the day that I brought it home. During that time I also cleaned my chimney ( double wall SS ) and there was hardly any creosote buildup on the chimney. When the catalyst is running at its "optimal" burn temperature you will also see hardly any smoke coming out of the chimney. This leads to less creosote buildup and less chance of a chimney fire.

Hope this helps with your choice,

Scott

Ive got a catalytic insert, and I like it, works well, heats well, doesnt use so much wood, the flu stays clean.

come over the ********** and do some searching and questions asking.

there are several EPIC length threads over there on CAT vs NON cat

:deadhorse:

Back