Catalytic vs Secondary Burn Technology Advantages?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. I'm not sure why the hybrid technology is met with so much criticism. It's newer and scary I suppose. Companies like Woodstock who always preached catalytic technology have come to learn they can do better then just catalytic and are doing so. Why else would they do it?

Statements like that make it hard for me to take anything you say seriously. You keep saying it's so much better and I keep searching...and coming up empty.

bk 40,863 BTU's/h constant output for 10 hr , IS Output: 13,017-60,530/hr Burn Time: 10-14 hrs whats the btus for the other 20 hrs ?

Statements like that make it hard for me to take anything you say seriously. You keep saying it's so much better and I keep searching...and coming up empty.

That is because you are only concerned about long burn times in your small well insulated house. If that is your mindset you will never see it in the same light as us who have a higher BTU demand. Running low and slow isn't an option for everybody.

I believe for your situation you have the perfect stove. I'm certainly not trying to change your mind.

That is because you are only concerned about long burn times in your small well insulated house. If that is your mindset you will never see it in the same light as us who have a higher BTU demand. Running low and slow isn't an option for everybody.

I believe for your situation you have the perfect stove. I'm certainly not trying to change your mind.

Who are you talking to?

Probably not feasible right now with this cold spell but are you planning on doing a long slow burn this year? I would like to see how well the IS performs during shoulder season type temps.

Uhh...you do realize you are referring to the King model right? "Running low and slow isn't an option for everybody" If you think the King is only for low and slow, there really is no point in this conversation continuing. There are many King owners living in Alaska and Canada that experience far harsher conditions than us that would laugh at your statement.

"Only concerned about long burn times..." No, we are concerned with long burn times that keep our house above 70 f. If keeping a 1250 sf house like ours at 70 degrees in single digit weather for 40+ hours is so easy, then by all means find an Ideal Steel owner with a small house and try it. After you do, I don't think you will be tossing our results out like they're meaningless any longer. Under the exact same conditions, I would guess your Ideal Steel would come in somewhere around 12-14 hours. I realize the King has a bigger firebox but you are making the comparison.

I'm not trying to change your mind either. I really, really, really, really want someone to explain it to me. Yes, your stove is capable of producing lots of heat for 8-10 hours but so are many stoves. Yes, your stove burns cleanly but so do many stoves as well. And that's the point...hybrid technology really isn't capable of doing anything that's not already being done and in the area of burn time, being done much better.

Probably not feasible right now with this cold spell but are you planning on doing a long slow burn this year? I would like to see how well the IS performs during shoulder season type temps.

JA600L has already answered that for you...16 hours.

Uhh...you do realize you are referring to the King model right? "Running low and slow isn't an option for everybody" If you think the King is only for low and slow, there really is no point in this conversation continuing. There are many King owners living in Alaska and Canada that experience far harsher conditions than us that would laugh at your statement.

"Only concerned about long burn times..." No, we are concerned with long burn times that keep our house above 70 f. If keeping a 1250 sf house like ours at 70 degrees in single digit weather for 40+ hours is so easy, then by all means find an Ideal Steel owner with a small house and try it. After you do, I don't think you will be tossing our results out like they're meaningless any longer. Under the exact same conditions, I would guess your Ideal Steel would come in somewhere around 12-14 hours. I realize the King has a bigger firebox but you are making the comparison.

I'm not trying to change your mind either. I really, really, really, really want someone to explain it to me. Yes, your stove is capable of producing lots of heat for 8-10 hours but so are many stoves. Yes, your stove burns cleanly but so do many stoves as well. And that's the point...hybrid technology really isn't capable of doing anything that's not already being done and in the area of burn time, being done much better.

Your just making up numbers with your imagination. You have no idea what my stove can and cannot do in different weather conditions. I'm not telling you how long I think a Blaze King will run. Although it does say 14,419 BTU's/h for up to 40 hours right on Blaze Kings website. How many large 50's 60's 70's and older houses can stay warm on 14,419 BTU's in zero degree weather? The Ideal Steel can burn that low as well 13,017 BTU's and that is what I consider shoulder season heating in my and many other peoples situation.

No, you are wrong again. That 16 hour burn held through 20 degree weather and it was not done yet. I reloaded because I had to go to work for 11 hours.

Hahahaha. Ok bud, your credibility is pretty much shot. In your first post as a new member on this thread, you gave us the impression your Ideal Steel would do 16 hour burns during normal winter temps. I called you out on that because I found on another site where you said it was during the shoulder season. You agreed and said, "It's a quality unit and yes it does do easy 16 hour burns in the shoulder season."

So I communicated that to Ambull and your response is, "No, you are wrong again." I know you're going to accuse me of twisting your words again but come on, they are your words. You do know anyone can go back in this thread and read what you said, right?

This is just my opinion but you have absolutely ZERO credibility on this site. Like I said earlier, you might feel more comfortable back over at H---th where your cheerleaders can stroke your ego and praise your ever changing stories.

That 16 hour burn I did was the beginning of February. If he asked me a question why did you answer it?

The correct answer is depending on how much heat you need it can and will burn 16+ hours. Obviously, different wood types come into play. Most people don't burn their best woods in the shoulder. In the fall I burnt junk wood till it got cold. All I have left is premium hardwoods so I'm not sure how much I will waste on shoulder temps. I have an efficient heat pump that heats in those temps for next to nothing. Which is why I don't care about extra long burns.

Sooooo, Does the size of the firebox have much to do with how many BTU's per hour or just extend how long it can burn? I'm considering buying a Buck Model 91 (4.4 cf fire box) or a BK-P, I need long burns with alot of heat since wood heat is all I use. anyone here know of anyone using a Buck 91?? I use a Old Buck model 27000 now buthave to fill it every 3 hrs :( I'd like to be able to put out 40k+ Btu for 8-10 hrs if possible... tks

This is from Blaze Kings website under the Princess model. "40,863 BTU's/h constant output for 10 hours." It sounds like that stove would meet your needs, but I have no personal experience with it. I'll let others guide you in the right direction.

That is because you are only concerned about long burn times in your small well insulated house. If that is your mindset you will never see it in the same light as us who have a higher BTU demand.

Again, what you say just doesn't jive with what's going on in the real world. Just yesterday, a member from H---th described his experience with the Ideal Steel during "higher BTU demand". He is the resident expert over there and I've read enough of his posts to give credit to what he says:

"As I have said, I find the primaries on this stove to be weak and once the gasses are burned off of the wood, the burn slows way down. That is fine for 20F and above, in fact it is great, but when it is really cold, the stove cannot keep up. It was -5F overnight here and the draft wide open would not keep the stove producing enough heat to maintain the house at 73F. What it needs is some air coming up from the bottom, through the coals bed. Then the primary air can be turned way down to about 3 hash marks and the stove will produce great heat for a long time. But without the air coming in from the bottom, the coals just cannot be burned fast enough to produce sufficient heat, at least with my I.S. and my chimney setup."

"Draft wide open" and his Ideal Steel could not produce enough heat? I guess your definition of "higher BTU demand" is different than mine.

That same member has a thermocouple setup on his Ideal Steel to track performance and I know you've seen the graph since you are a member. But for those who haven't, I've attached it. Notice how, after 6 hours, all indicators start heading down. And at 10 hours, it is getting to the point where it will most likely be struggling to heat the home.

That graph explains a lot to me about his burn times. It is pumping heat like crazy the first 6 hours, then putters out. To have real world/heat your home burn times, the stove must be able to flatten those lines out (consistent, even heat). Without an auto damper, the Ideal Steel is not capable of doing this.

Attachments

• 21 to 22 Jan temp chart.png
    21 to 22 Jan temp chart.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 10
Sooooo, Does the size of the firebox have much to do with how many BTU's per hour or just extend how long it can burn? I'm considering buying a Buck Model 91 (4.4 cf fire box) or a BK-P, I need long burns with alot of heat since wood heat is all I use. anyone here know of anyone using a Buck 91?? I use a Old Buck model 27000 now buthave to fill it every 3 hrs :( I'd like to be able to put out 40k+ Btu for 8-10 hrs if possible... tks

I think Chris-PA talked about firebox site on this thread right? The site Hearth has a ton of info concerning BK stoves and I've seen the older Buck models mentioned too.

Again, what you say just doesn't jive with what's going on in the real world. Just yesterday, a member from H---th described his experience with the Ideal Steel during "higher BTU demand". He is the resident expert over there and I've read enough of his posts to give credit to what he says:

"As I have said, I find the primaries on this stove to be weak and once the gasses are burned off of the wood, the burn slows way down. That is fine for 20F and above, in fact it is great, but when it is really cold, the stove cannot keep up. It was -5F overnight here and the draft wide open would not keep the stove producing enough heat to maintain the house at 73F. What it needs is some air coming up from the bottom, through the coals bed. Then the primary air can be turned way down to about 3 hash marks and the stove will produce great heat for a long time. But without the air coming in from the bottom, the coals just cannot be burned fast enough to produce sufficient heat, at least with my I.S. and my chimney setup."

"Draft wide open" and his Ideal Steel could not produce enough heat? I guess your definition of "higher BTU demand" is different than mine.

That same member has a thermocouple setup on his Ideal Steel to track performance and I know you've seen the graph since you are a member. But for those who haven't, I've attached it. Notice how, after 6 hours, all indicators start heading down. And at 10 hours, it is getting to the point where it will most likely be struggling to heat the home.

That graph explains a lot to me about his burn times. It is pumping heat like crazy the first 6 hours, then putters out. To have real world/heat your home burn times, the stove must be able to flatten those lines out (consistent, even heat). Without an auto damper, the Ideal Steel is not capable of doing this.

Thats one air setting for one person. Thats like you turning the thermostat up on your blaze King. The higher the air setting, the quicker the smoke burns. You can run but you can't hide from that.

"So... are you guys getting over 16 hour burns in the coldest parts of the winter? I mean like 20 degrees and below. Just curious."
"Not me, when it gets to 20F with wind I'm around 8 hrs. Again it depends on the house and setup. I'm in a 1950 ranch with no insulation. Wind kills my burn times." Blaze King Princess

I mean absolutely no offense to the great guy who wrote this and I'm not holding it against him. He was honest. I'm just making sure its clear that even the best of the best stoves have to work a little harder in cold weather.

I have the highest respect for Blaze King keep in mind.

"So... are you guys getting over 16 hour burns in the coldest parts of the winter? I mean like 20 degrees and below. Just curious."
"Not me, when it gets to 20F with wind I'm around 8 hrs. Again it depends on the house and setup. I'm in a 1950 ranch with no insulation. Wind kills my burn times." Blaze King Princess

I mean absolutely no offense to the great guy who wrote this and I'm not holding it against him. He was honest. I'm just making sure its clear that even the best of the best stoves have to work a little harder in cold weather.

I have the highest respect for Blaze King keep in mind.

:):):) HAHAHAHA....OK :):):)

Latest posts

Back