Cause of Failure??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cylinder didn’t take any damage. Just had one small line of transfer that cleaned up easily. As for the base gasket I put a thin coat of moto seal on the gasket. Must have had a little extra on that section. Squish was to tight to delete the gasket.

When I was spending time at the husky dealer decades ago when a seized husky saw came in 80% of the time the cylinder was ok. But back then the cylinders looked like hard chrome.

Cylinder didn’t take any damage. Just had one small line of transfer that cleaned up easily. As for the base gasket I put a thin coat of moto seal on the gasket. Must have had a little extra on that section. Squish was to tight to delete the gasket.
So it was a new gasket? Or reuse of the broken one? Let’s end this dance now.

It was a new gasket. Put a thin layer of moto seal on both sides for insurance. Must have gotten a little heavy in that area.

I put 3 tanks of fuel through it today and all is well. I never touched the carb adjustments since it started in 5 pulls and tached to 12,500. My best guess it that it started pulling air through the fuel line on a nearly empty tank. 90+degrees and a hot saw was all it took.
Might have been some “goop” broke free too.

Thanks to all for being able to pick your brains.

On motos I glue the base gasket to the cylinder using Yamabond #4 and lightly grease the case side. That way when you remove the cylinder there's not a bunch of sealant to scrape off the cases where it can drop into the engine. On some engines the base gasket is too narrow at the transfers. On those I glue both sides. Usually that's on multi cylinder engines.

It was a new gasket. Put a thin layer of moto seal on both sides for insurance. Must have gotten a little heavy in that area.
Sorry, I still see a broken gasket. You say not. It’s okay, you are back and going. Not worth going on about it. Congratulations.

Back