CCW while firewooding?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelbythedog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I like to carry a pistol as much as possible, both to express my rights as well as protect myself, my property, and those around me. Certainly dragging around a few thousand dollars worth of saws, splitter, firewood, etc., after a long day of harvesting my most beloved natural resource would be a time I would like to have my pistol on my person. I think most would agree that having your gun in the truck is better than at home in the safe, but there is no better place than on your body, ready to draw, if necessary. If I were selling and delivering firewood you can bet I would be carrying since most transactions deal in cash and are with unknowns. What say you members of AS, anyone else feel the need to be strapped when firewooding?

what you said

I usually carry something even if it's my little P32. I usually cut on my parents property, so I'm more worried about coyotes or a rabid animal than hunters and other 2 legged vermin.

I can completely understand carrying, you have valuable equipment with you, and you may be by yourself.

I carry because of nasty varmints that might show up. Been attacked here by a pack of wild pitbulls before. Boy was that fun...not. They were totally different from all the other dogs dumped off out here, those guys were highly aggressive. Surprised sneak thieves a coupla times lurking around getting ready to steal something, I ran them off. You never know. We get poachers, too, biggest problem there for me is they cut fences or leave the gates open, both have happened more than once. Then the cows get out, and I get a call in the middle of the night they are out in the street ot over eating some lady's flowers someplace..that is no fun either. . So far no rustlers but I would bet that is coming, boss said it happened to him before here. Basically like the poachers after deer, they'll pop one and snag off the hams and sirloins off the back, leave the rest.

As the economy worsens these problems will get more intense, either in the country or in town, and in town I have stopped one car jacking, and another time some burglar climbed in the second story window and I woke up and here is this junkie creep in the living room...stuff happens. Oh heck, then I got trapped downtown atlanta in the middle of the rodney king riots..if I wasn't for my two close personal friends, mr smith and mr wesson, this boy would most likely not be here today...

People just drive out in the country and dump their animals, so some can turn into problems or it they pack up they all can get squirrely, and other people get more desperate and decide what is yours needs to be theirs.

Ya, it can get awkward carrying, but better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it, real handy like on your person.

I carry my XD45C 4" in a MTAC IWB holster pretty much any time I'm not at work... Yep, I carry it always while in the woods, mostly for unfriendly/rabid varmints; but we've had some folks who, conveniently, "think they're still on state land, and didn't see all the fence posts with orange ribbons on them" when there's ginseng and mushrooms (or animals to poach) on the property... Some of them can get a little pushy if you run into them, and the first rule of gun-fighting is: Have a gun. (or 2)

As stated, I always have my .45 (or 9mm, or .357) on my person, but when I'm out on the farm doing rounds or checking trails or whatever, there's usually a rifle of some sort in my vehicle or slung on my back...

Mike

I always carry where I cut my firewood. It's 100 miles from home, the drug culture has taken over the area and we are not out there often enough to be a visible presence. If it's not bolted down they steal it, if it's bolted down they destroy it out of spite. You also have no idea what you are going to walk up on! I've walked up to the pond and had a couple skinny dipping, I ran across a guy running dogs chasing deer, without permission to be there. I've ran across groups of people walking around looking for a mythical cave that is supposed to be in the area. I'm fearful one day I will walk up on someones grow operation one day! I don't set foot on the place without a firearm.
So yeah, rifle in the truck, 10mm on the hip!

Yes, I keep a 1911 in a Fobus paddle holster on my hip, even when cutting. Normally I carry condition 1 (cocked and locked) but when cutting, I carry condition 2 (hammer down) in order to keep any wood chips from getting between the hammer and firing pin where they could cause problems. I figure that if I need it, I will have time to get it and manuplate the hammer. If not, then I'll use the saw that's in my hands... :)

BTW, my options include...

attachment.php

Typically, I carry a .380 in my front pocket, but that doesn't lend itself to easy access when wearing chaps. This fall my plan for firewooding and outdoor activities is to carry the SP2022 OWB or the Colt OWB.

I have enough trouble protecting myself from a chainsaw, I can't imagine why might happen to me with a gun strapped to my body.

I carry all the time, of course, in AZ that is the norm rather than the unusual. Carry whenever you are dressed, and you get used to it being there just like that fat wallet in your back pocket and the knife in your front. After a while, you don't notice it's there, but you sure notice when it isn't there.

I have a male german shepherd he was imported from Germany. No one gets nearme or my equipment without his permission.

Back