CCW while firewooding?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here with either Ruger SP101 .357 or Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special in pocket.

My Ruger Super Redhawk 44mag with a 9 and 1/2 inch barrel is a little too large to carry concealed though I do occasionally strap it on for any wildlife I might want to invite to dinner (as the main course) while I'm out in the woods.

(tresspassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again! :D )

I have a ccw permit here in michigan. I carry a fair amount of the time. I find my .45 smith is too big and bulky to carry while working in the woods, so I just keep a little colt .25 pocket auto in my back pocket. I know a .25 aint much, but I hope it will keep "whatever" at bay till I grab the .45 from the truck.

Or better yet the 12 gauge with alternating #1 buck, foster type slug, #1 buck, foster type slug, etc.

Remember, speak softly but carry a big stick!

I worry more about the humans I encounter than the critters. I do cut in black bear country, and the bear population is growing where I cut as well. KD

Always have at least one straight shootin rifle with me, and a sharp hachette on my side for close range and beating wedges.

It's threads like this that make me quite happy to be canadian.

I don't even know anybody who has a handgun.:dizzy:

Same here, the uk has some of the strictest laws around after a few mass killings alot of years ago not saying the "nasties" can't/don't have guns, but sure glad I 99.999999999999999999% know I don't need one.... And then can't think when I every would have been better of with a firearm

Now would love to have a pistol just for the fun of shooting( in a controlled environment), did target rifle shooting at uni for a few years and enjoyed that.

Different house for different courses!

Stay safe However that may come to you

Just curious about the UKs violent crime numbers . Has the number of murders with other weapons stayed the same or gone up or down ? What about rapes , assaults , muggings and other violent crimes . Something tells me if you look up those numbers you and Australia are very similar . I get the impression the Australians are not too happy with their recent gun laws .

Just walk through a central bus station here, Israel, you'll count hundreds of M16 carabines, Tavors and whatnot. Thats just the assault rifles, now look for the handgun on people's hip...
If someone shouts Allah Akbar and pulls a knife out near you, better duck behind something - you never know when was the last time some of the dozen or so gun owners around practiced their marksmanship!!!!!
:laugh:

SA

Just curious about the UKs violent crime numbers . Has the number of murders with other weapons stayed the same or gone up or down ? What about rapes , assaults , muggings and other violent crimes . Something tells me if you look up those numbers you and Australia are very similar . I get the impression the Australians are not too happy with their recent gun laws .

can't comment, but do know that our gun crime rate/murders are no where near the USA levels. Not starting a pissing war, I know I can walk through any city centre and feel safe, yes there are muggings, yes there are assaults.
Had my 3 kids( 2 at 7 1 at 8 year old) in edinburgh( not my city and only visit occationally), on the 30th out late at night and felt as safe as in my own home. Now I know that would not be the case everywhere and understand that people want/need firearms to live their lives as the want.. just read the comment from the poster from Isreal. diffrent way of life again.

as I said horses for courses!

Edit, just googled the figures, only gun crime that is up, is rifles 13 and shotguns 46, total for the whole of scotland! guns are not the culture here, now football and beer thats a diffrent kettle of fish!!:)

Last edited:
I don't believe y'all are still jawing about this a year and a half later.

Don't ever go to the woods with Stihl sawing BTW. Armed or not. :rolleyes2:

Flash or sound?
sound... dont wanna disturb the neighbors after running a chainsaw all day.

my 44 mag is in the truck at all times wherever i go. its a tad bulky to CC but its always close by. also keep a stainless .17HMR behind the seat. perfect for plinkin and such

Edit: i also have my CCW permit for the state of minnesota and am working on getting the utah so it has the reciprocity in most states
check into florida... their out of state license is one of the most accepted.

Same here, the uk has some of the strictest laws around after a few mass killings alot of years ago not saying the "nasties" can't/don't have guns, but sure glad I 99.999999999999999999% know I don't need one.... And then can't think when I every would have been better of with a firearm

Now would love to have a pistol just for the fun of shooting( in a controlled environment), did target rifle shooting at uni for a few years and enjoyed that.

Different house for different courses!

Stay safe However that may come to you

last time I was over there, I pulled a 2" pocket knife out to cut something and by the reaction of some of the people in the office, I might as well have pulled something a bit more personal out of my pants.

I was there in 06, it seems like there was routine stabbings or break-ins. Mostly the eastern europeans causing the trouble from the reports I was hearing.

can't comment, but do know that our gun crime rate/murders are no where near the USA levels. Not starting a pissing war, I know I can walk through any city centre and feel safe, yes there are muggings, yes there are assaults.
Had my 3 kids( 2 at 7 1 at 8 year old) in edinburgh( not my city and only visit occationally), on the 30th out late at night and felt as safe as in my own home. Now I know that would not be the case everywhere and understand that people want/need firearms to live their lives as the want.. just read the comment from the poster from Isreal. diffrent way of life again.

as I said horses for courses!

Edit, just googled the figures, only gun crime that is up, is rifles 13 and shotguns 46, total for the whole of scotland! guns are not the culture here, now football and beer thats a diffrent kettle of fish!!:)

Ok, But that wasn't quite my question . My question was have violent crimes with other types of weapons gone up or down or stayed the same . Same with unarmed assaults and murders up,down or the same . I am well aware that other countries have lower or higher crime/murder rates than the USA . I was just wondering how your country has fared with more restrictive gun laws . Interesting that with more restrictive laws Scotland has gun crimes that still went up . But I am not really clear on your numbers is that for murders or any and all crimes that involve a gun including suicide . If you don't know maybe somebody else from your side of the pond can answer .

Violent crime in the UK is up and climbing.

Number of armed officers is up and they are planning to add more.

But...They feel so safe, that is what matters.

The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S. | Mail Online

England has worse crime rate than the US, says Civitas study - Telegraph

Murder rate rose 5% last year | UK news | The Guardian

Those articles cover from 2009 to early 2012. During the same time frame crime in the US has fallen, including murder dropping by over half is many areas. There are any number of reasons why, but several studies point to more guns in the hands of good people means less crime.

Mr. HE:cool:

Violent crime in the UK is up and climbing.

Number of armed officers is up and they are planning to add more.

But...They feel so safe, that is what matters.

The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S. | Mail Online

England has worse crime rate than the US, says Civitas study - Telegraph

Murder rate rose 5% last year | UK news | The Guardian

Those articles cover from 2009 to early 2012. During the same time frame crime in the US has fallen, including murder dropping by over half is many areas. There are any number of reasons why, but several studies point to more guns in the hands of good people means less crime.

Thanks , Now I know at least one person saw were I was going with my posts . I am not computer literate enough to post links and photos . Something tells me you won't get a LIKE from Slowp .

Thanks , Now I know at least one person saw were I was going with my posts . I am not computer literate enough to post links and photos . Something tells me you won't get a LIKE from Slowp .

I've met Slowp, while I don't know her real well, we got along fine at the GTG. I'd be happy to chat with her more at another one, I can set aside our difference of opinion and I'm sure she can too. We'd run saws, watch others run saws, share some jokes, poke fun at others and ourselves, share PNW life experiences, and then go home, log in here and argue about guns again.:laugh:

Latest posts

Back