Cedar hawthorn rust treatment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellanon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok... First post so hello all.

I have a customer with about 50 affected trees. I conclude it is cedar hawthorn rust because it is on his pear trees, his apple trees, and his cedars.

This being my first time treating it, I don't know much.

I am looking for something that works others have used.
Most of the stuff I have looked at is very vauge in mixing instructions.
This customer is very important to me. Anyone else I would have said it's almost impossible to get rid of and told them to live with it, but this guy is someone I really gotta cure this for.

Most recommend two or more treatment which is fine. The thing is there are 50 of these trees at least. Its gonna take a butt ton of fungicide.

If anyone knows a good effective treatment mix and mix ratio to water, I would be grateful.

Again I would appreciate it from something you have personally used that was effective.

Thanks in advance!

One last thing...
I cant use anything unfriendly to bees which shouldn't be much of a factor to my limited knowledge.

I am also buying this directly for him so Im not wanting to buy a bunch extra.
Trees average about 30' x50.
No idea how much I will need as I have never done this but that would be greatly appreciated info as well.

I've treated a hawthorn at the back of my property a couple of times with left overs from the tank after treating apple scab...it worked pretty well. I tank mix Eagle amd Captan. Reliant works well too, but has a shorter residual.

Tourey should work well too, but you'll have a lot left over.

Plan to treat the Rosaceae host +/-3 times starting at bud break. I've never found something that indicates the Juniper host can be treated successfully...if so, it would take season long treatments.

Is it likely to reoccur the next season in cedars and apples?

I do not want to talk this guy into anything that becomes an annual treatment.

I really very much appreciate that info and will look at all of them.

I've treated a hawthorn at the back of my property a couple of times with left overs from the tank after treating apple scab...it worked pretty well. I tank mix Eagle amd Captan. Reliant works well too, but has a shorter residual.

Tourey should work well too, but you'll have a lot left over.

Plan to treat the Rosaceae host +/-3 times starting at bud break. I've never found something that indicates the Juniper host can be treated successfully...if so, it would take season long treatments.

I dont want to sound like an idiot but I keep finding errors in the labels of these mixing instructions.
Capture+_2020-02-24-21-39-11.png
^^^ Use 2 level... _____ ... What?
I am assuning they just left out tablespoons as thats what they used in the next instructions but how is anyone to know?

That is Captans label btw

I have a much deeper question too...

I am treating the cedars for bagworms as well...
I am specifically using bacillus thuringensis.
Will the fungicide harm the microbe BT?
Treatments are required very close to one another.

1) you will need annual treatments. You are protecting trees from infection, not curing them. Any other hosts within 1/4 - 1/2 mile will reinfect next year.
2) Not sure what is up with label. Call manufacturer to clarify. I agree it is likely TBS.
3) Shouldn't impact Bt - I don't think that is depending on an "active culture". It is a fermented bacteria.

1) you will need annual treatments. You are protecting trees from infection, not curing them. Any other hosts within 1/4 - 1/2 mile will reinfect next year.
2) Not sure what is up with label. Call manufacturer to clarify. I agree it is likely TBS.
3) Shouldn't impact Bt - I don't think that is depending on an "active culture". It is a fermented bacteria.
Thank you sir, much respect.

Back