Central Va./Dinosaur50 GTG 2012

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, i pulled the pipe saw down...expecting to see a toasted piston. Nope, everything looks great, out it back together, and it fired up. May have had coil heat issues, i really don't know....i have a spare coil, and it will be in the toolbox at the next GTG...lol

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DLOgBkffZak" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I learned a lot about what it takes to plan and make a GTG happen and I don't think we did too bad for our first real attempt. Sawmandave did all of the hands-on work at the site, no small matter.......................top shelf job David. Dinosaur50 provides 99% of our inspiration and a good bit of our enthusiasm as y'all saw. Thanks, Michael. And of course, our heart-felt thanks to the folks who allowed us the use of their property. As the last of us were leaving, a big storm blew up complete with hail so bad we couldn't see how to drive away, so we waited it out only to find the port-a-john had blown over and one of the sheds was collapsed!. Musta been a small twist in that one!
Thanks to all of you who came. Onward now to hopefully bigger and even better GTGs.
Igpoe:cheers:

Thank's everybody who came to the gtg i had a grrreat time , it was a lot of work but well worth it , i tried to get good wood for everybody to cut on nice and green. the people i met were awsome. I got to run some cool saws , i am glad my long time friend ernie came down , we have collected saws for some 15 years now. ernie collects saws, tractors, and lots of everything else (RUST)..but they broke the mold when ernie came around . I hope to have another gtg next year , ernie told me he would like to have it at his house next year. we will keep everybody posted. the storm that hit us late in the day was real bad but we made it . I hope everybody made it home ok, thanks to everybody again... david :cool2:

Thank's everybody who came to the gtg i had a grrreat time , it was a lot of work but well worth it , i tried to get good wood for everybody to cut on nice and green. the people i met were awsome. I got to run some cool saws , i am glad my long time friend ernie came down , we have collected saws for some 15 years now. ernie collects saws, tractors, and lots of everything else (RUST)..but they broke the mold when ernie came around . I hope to have another gtg next year , ernie told me he would like to have it at his house next year. we will keep everybody posted. the storm that hit us late in the day was real bad but we made it . I hope everybody made it home ok, thanks to everybody again... david :cool2:

Sawmandave, keep us posted. I had a Great time Last Saturday, Met a bunch of great people. Sorry my pipe saw died on you, looked like you were having fun with it.:bang:. Until next time....

Sorry about that Carl.............I had another that you took of me with the saw, but it was only about 4 seconds of your right foot!
Dean:cheers:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zQIPeWW5NC0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Another of Ernie with his 71A
:cheers:

Vac-tested the PL-5A, i got from Dino50....the flywheel side crankcase half is leaking....not at the seal...through the actual case.....Nice

The 3400 is completely torn down...awaiting bearings and seals. Once those are in, the fun begins.

Last edited:
Alright guys, need help. I vacuum tested some saws a day or so before the GTG and now I can't find my pump. I'm not one to loose stuff or forget where it was placed last..... however, I can't find it and am wondering if it ended up in a box of swap meet parts that was collectively set in a pile with the others. It was a Stihl pump, all silver color and has a rubber hose stuck in the end with a brass fitting.

Figured I'd try here?

Alright guys, need help. I vacuum tested some saws a day or so before the GTG and now I can't find my pump. I'm not one to loose stuff or forget where it was placed last..... however, I can't find it and am wondering if it ended up in a box of swap meet parts that was collectively set in a pile with the others. It was a Stihl pump, all silver color and has a rubber hose stuck in the end with a brass fitting.

Figured I'd try here?

I looked at that stuff a few times as the pile was growing. I never noticed anything like your pump description. You'll run across it someplace when you aren't looking for it.

I figured my U4G out...finally. After rebuilding carb, twice, it still ran like a dog. Curiousity took over, and I swapped the "stock" cylinder back on. I must have gotten something wrong, becuase it seems to run fine now. Either that, or this PP carb, had no idea how to handle the increased compression, and flow of the other cylinder. Stock cylinder, fresh rings, compression is now back down to 115 lbs, and it runs great, so that is how it will stay. Guess this cylinder will go on the Lombard project, as it now sports a tilly HL, we will see what it does there.

Everybody!!!!!!!!

Every single one of you is hereby invited to attend the Halifax Co. Heritage and Antique Machinery Festival to be held on May 5 behind South Boston, Va. Speedway in our fairgrounds. http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/98366.htm should be the link to it. I just talked to the boss today and he says we'll have a tractor-trailer load of assorted sized wood at our disposal. That is a lot! The Fest has it's own website of course. Just drop me a line if you can come so I'll plan correctly.

Latest posts

Back