Certified Tree Risk Assessor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Cantolina

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I wanted to ask you guys who have studied for or taken the exam if any of the material covered trees uprooting on hill/creek sides?

I've already agreed on removing x amount of trees here because they've had two trees uproot and hit buildings. How would a Certified Tree Risk Assessor approach a job like this?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Havent taken the test & probably wont............Have so many certs & licenses right now it just takes to much time & money to keep up with it all, I doubt that a tree risk assessor would do/prognose any different from what you would!!

As long as you have been doing this.............your response to the situation is probably just as good if not better that someone with that particular Cert.

IMHO

LXT.................

:monkey:
Havent taken the test & probably wont............Have so many certs & licenses right now it just takes to much time & money to keep up with it all, I doubt that a tree risk assessor would do/prognose any different from what you would!!

As long as you have been doing this.............your response to the situation is probably just as good if not better that someone with that particular Cert.

IMHO

LXT.................

"Certified Tree Risk Assessor" is that Dutchie for somebody who spent too much time drinking beer in a dorm room, or is that the nomenclature for somebody looking to get his name onthe Defendant line of a Summons & Complaint?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he will approach it with a clipboard and large insurance policy, and probably get there in either a Prius or a pickup truck.

IMHO

LXT.................

Ignorance is bliss my friend. It's a multiday test thats goes into technical detail beyond what you can learn from seeing downed trees over the years. On my to do list, this year. You can not remove any tree in the seattle area over 30 inch's without this cert and I can see most major cities adopting the same policy, which i'm in favor. At some point we need to limit the amount of urban removals or the next generation will be left with nothing more then Japanese maples.

Ignorance is bliss my friend. It's a multiday test thats goes into technical detail beyond what you can learn from seeing downed trees over the years. On my to do list, this year. You can not remove any tree in the seattle area over 30 inch's without this cert and I can see most major cities adopting the same policy, which i'm in favor. At some point we need to limit the amount of urban removals or the next generation will be left with nothing more then Japanese maples.

Hey Holden, you know Terry Flanigan, BCMA from PNW chapter did the seminar and travels all over the world doing it? Great guy to hang out with for couple of days..

There are 700 TRACE certs. now incl. many Chinese.

Hey Mike, don't think you are going to get anyone to bite on this OP. After shelling out the 550 clams and studying and doing the 2 day gig and qualifying by having plenty of knowledge prior to even being able to take the course all along with req. ISA Cert.....not likely anyone is gonna give assessments for free with this system.

Hey Mike, don't think you are going to get anyone to bite on this OP. After shelling out the 550 clams and studying and doing the 2 day gig and qualifying by having plenty of knowledge prior to even being able to take the course all along with req. ISA Cert.....not likely anyone is gonna give assessments for free with this system.

I can understand that. The work to be done is already agreed upon.

I would really like to know if uprooting near hill/creek sides is covered though.

Yes, uprooting and hillsides and water affecting soil integrity and edge trees and leaners and long lever arms and bending moment and taper....all factors in overall assessment with many others as part of system.

I can see where lxt is coming from but it does sound like a good cert then.

At some point we need to limit the amount of urban removals or the next generation will be left with nothing more then Japanese maples.

i would consider myself a conservationist, i often advise against removals or question motives
but im also an American, and a tree is property and i believe a person should be able to do with their property as they please, the government has poked its nose into too much already
corporations on the other hand should have over site

Im not trying to be ignorant.............Its just common sense!!!! & to create another Cert for a tree over 30 inches is just as bad as AA using his lawn mower! Wouldnt a removal permit & a city arborist/tree warden be just as effective?

Who is gonna teach this course? & you want me to believe that some one in the Biz for 25yrs or more doesnt have the ability to properly assess a trees risk?..........Bunk I say & this is where things are just getting absolutely ridiculous.........First it was a CA...Now its a BMCA......Now a Tree risk Assessor........does anyone recall a thread years ago where I said "why dont they just create a galactic arborist certification?" Cause pretty soon you will need so many Certs that one of two things are gonna happen: 1-your hourly wage will continue to go down due to paying for multiiple certs/licenses along with acquiring less work, 2- in this economy you will not make up the difference cuz people can barely afford the rates now & they will just let their trees go!

I cant imagine...............sorry Ma`am your tree is 30.25 inches & this requires a certified tree risk assessor... LMFAO, on top of that ma`am you will need a permit, you will have to replant a tree to make up for the loss......oh, powerlines over head, you will need a Line clearance qualified person.....................eh, should only cost tween 3-4 thousand for your 30 ft norway removal...do you want the wood?

LXT...................

Im not trying to be ignorant.............Its just common sense!!!! & to create another Cert for a tree over 30 inches is just as bad as AA using his lawn mower! Wouldnt a removal permit & a city arborist/tree warden be just as effective?

Who is gonna teach this course? & you want me to believe that some one in the Biz for 25yrs or more doesnt have the ability to properly assess a trees risk?..........Bunk I say & this is where things are just getting absolutely ridiculous.........First it was a CA...Now its a BMCA......Now a Tree risk Assessor........does anyone recall a thread years ago where I said "why dont they just create a galactic arborist certification?" Cause pretty soon you will need so many Certs that one of two things are gonna happen: 1-your hourly wage will continue to go down due to paying for multiiple certs/licenses along with acquiring less work, 2- in this economy you will not make up the difference cuz people can barely afford the rates now & they will just let their trees go!

I cant imagine...............sorry Ma`am your tree is 30.25 inches & this requires a certified tree risk assessor... LMFAO, on top of that ma`am you will need a permit, you will have to replant a tree to make up for the loss......oh, powerlines over head, you will need a Line clearance qualified person.....................eh, should only cost tween 3-4 thousand for your 30 ft norway removal...do you want the wood?

LXT...................
I gotta say your growing on me quick thats a great point and a great post , I mean when will it stop we need our hands held by some D Bag with a slip to tell me when a tree may be ####ed up and have to go ... My God I can see a bad tree from the window of my truck at this point ....

Oh I am looking for that bliss. I'm kinda mad, resentful that I ain't stupid and I'm living for the day they all are Japanese maples.:dizzy:

... My God I can see a bad tree from the window of my truck at this point ....

That point of view is exactly why this training is needed. :taped:

The course also mentions MITIGATION; work like pruning those edge trees to improve stability. This work may take more skill, but it does preserve the asset for the owner, so it is worth considering.

Those tree owners agreed to let you rape their hillside?

There's one born every minute. :jester:

This forum is getting dumber and dumber in leaps and bounds. I get pm's all the time wishing it was like it used to be when there was intellectual conversation. The convicts are taking over the jail. And they are world class dumb.

This cert gives a systemmatic routine for assessing the ones a dummy cannot id from the window. The one that is gonna fall and kill somebody that your basic knucklehead (you know who you are) can't see. Also protects against the millions and millions of trees continuing to be removed that really do not need to be removed and are just paying for 6 packs and filling bloated dummy guts.

2 men were at the seminar from Atlanta who are the ones in the whole giant city you have to go through to have any (any public or private) tree removed ....you must get a permit from them first. Coming to your neighborhood soon. Either move with the times or get left behind in a ditch (where you likely belong). Get certed and get recognized as knowing how to rate an extreme risk tree prior to making a sound, intelligent, educated decision. Or know when to leave them alone or mitigate risks (and how to) so future generations can appreciate and benefit from them.

I know the cert. testers know everything treevet said, and they have to figure that there is no shortage of tree services. No shortage means they can raise the bar in the community, and the community will still have plenty of qualified services working after all; with the certs. But HO's are not in short supply either, so the population of 'mental short hops' are still going to be able get by anyway.

I'm like a stick in the arborist industry, but tell me, any completely accredited arborist, how many hours or days out of the year does it take to get all of the certs finished. And how much is the bill for it all? The lesson of the day if you don't mind saying. :D

I'm like a twig in the arborist industry, but my take on this is that a tree plus a target = a potential hazard. Period.
Who here is going to tell a client that a tree is "safe"? (exception being them bonzai Japanese maples)?
The millions of healthy trees that got removed paid off my mortgage, dammit.

I'm like a twig in the arborist industry, but my take on this is that a tree plus a target = a potential hazard. Period.
Who here is going to tell a client that a tree is "safe"? (exception being them bonzai Japanese maples)?
The millions of healthy trees that got removed paid off my mortgage, dammit.

Fortunately there are people out there willing to spend money to preserve trees, even those that may have been quickly condemned by the drive-by tree guy :msp_scared:.

The TRACE program is worth taking for the education itself. The cert is probably usefull/less depending on your location.

jp:D

Back