Chain adjustment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

92utownxh

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Seems like it should be simple but I'm scratching my head since I've never had it happen before. The saw is a Makita 6401 with an Oregon powermatch 20 inch bar. Woodland pro semi chisel chain 72 links.

My issue is I'm out of adjustment to tighten up the chain. There is still some slack in the chain. The chain has cut a lot of wood, but there is still half a tooth left. I noticed yesterday that after cutting the chain was loose. I'm guessing it stretched.

What do I need to do to fix it? Get a new chain? Is that one stretched too much? Remove a link? Don't have the tool for that. I have an old chain I need to throw on to see what it does.

I have a 24 inch powermatch bar that tightens up no problem.

Thanks for the help!

Yesterday morning I went to my favorite small engine shop. Couldn't go inside with the virus stuff. I love looking around! They took a link out for $2. I bought a new chain since I was there and they took that link out for free. Got trimmer line and files also. I saw the owner walking in and he always takes the time to say good morning, ask how it's going, if I need anything.

Thanks for the help!

I dont think it's chain stretch. I lined up the old oregon bar and the new Oregon bar with the replaceable tip. With all the mounting holes lined up exactly, the new bar is about 3/16 shorter than the old. That's why I'm I'm running out of adjustment. A new chain was like that too.

Here's some pictures. The bar that says makita is the old. The last picture is the new bar over the old showing the length difference. Also how the mount is identical. 20200411_104628.jpg20200411_104728.jpg20200411_104819.jpg20200411_104826.jpg

Hmm. That’s definitely a 72 link bar!

I think I remember woodland pro does stretch quite a bit so as long as he removed a link you should be fine.

Back