Chain Catcher????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what it's worth...

My 441 came stock with the Dual Dawgs/Roller Catcher and it doesn't have the sacrificial aluminum catcher.

I left the aluminum ones on my 361's when I upgraded them, and will probably leave them until someone gives me a good reason to get rid of them.

Nice pic sILlogger. If you can imagine the force that chain exerted to crack the magnesium cover, ouch....

I've only had a few chains get away and most of the time it was my fault.

I know a guy about 15 years ago with a big ol' Homey that was out cutting with his 7 year old son and threw a chain and slit his own throat. He had been a professional logger and it was just a fluke. Makes you think the PPE Nazis might have a point.

This may be stating the obvious but the longer the bar the more dangerous it becomes.

Nice pic sILlogger. If you can imagine the force that chain exerted to crack the magnesium cover, ouch....

yes i can amagine the force they come apart with...cuz ive had them slung into my right thigh before....and when i chain breaks it will get pretty good distance off the top fo the bar 10-15 ft if you really got it wound up good

The standard catcher combined with the roller catcher is straight out of the department of redundency department...

good reason

I found a reason not to run both a 066 this weekend. I tried to quarter a piece and the remnant aluminum catcher immediately caught full of noodles and plugged things up good. I took mine off tonight.
good enough reason for me to drop the oem catcher from the ms361.
is evinrude on to something here? i guess in the morning i will be grinding the stock catcher till it is just a spacer.

If you have to rip rounds the stock catcher will cause more noodles to catch in the saw. Eventually you will have to grab them and pull them out. Sometimes the roller catcher will cause the saw to plug up faster than a hook style. I would always have a spare catcher, either/both styles, in the tool box especially if you had to special order yours. The hook style can break with one thrown chain.

good enough reason for me to drop the oem catcher from the ms361.
is evinrude on to something here? i guess in the morning i will be grinding the stock catcher till it is just a spacer.

Just remove it and replace the screw into the AV mount.

I too removed mine from my 036 for two reasons; one because it was redundant after kit installation and two to limit the amount of crap (like twigs, leaf, viny stuff, etc) that can get caught up in there. With the roller catcher it just isn't needed.

tie breaker

i guess if no one else chimes in....:)
i will be removing the oem catcher in the morning.
after replacing screw:
if the av be loose, then grind the oem catcher i will. if av be tight, then into the truck goes oem for spare!:)

Good point!

I don't noodle too often but I definitely can see how they could plug up.

Rather than grind the OEM, why not just use a couple of washers and throw the OEM in the Box for a spare?

Rather than grind the OEM, why not just use a couple of washers and throw the OEM in the Box for a spare?

good idea. too late at night for me to think of that.
better still....
i've got some aluminum stock i could cut a spacer or two from.
saw troll would be proud. that would be a savings of say 1/4 of a gram?:cheers:

Omg

Guacafriggin'moley... I never knew what those were for either. I can't believe it did that to the 066 chain cover. I had always straightened them out and kept'em in tact, but never knew what for...

:popcorn:

Like Brad - I had my 660 clog up with noodles when cutting some large rounds into pieces that I could lift. I cut my rounds in 24 inch lengths and it made long noodles that got stuck pretty tightly in the aluminum catcher. I took the aluminum catcher off and installed a stainless washer beneath the screw to take up the original clearance and distribute the bolt force over a larger area on the magnesium engine case - and reinstalled the screw. I have not yet run it again to see how it works without the aluminum catcher.

done and done

removed the oem catcher this morning. got to cut a half cord this afternooon. ripped a few cherry 'unsplittables' and saw no clogging of the noodles.

oem catcher is in the tool/parts bucket in the truck for emergency use. cut a piece of aluminum for a screw spacer (close to, but just under catcher thickness) and to spread the clamping force a bit.

Is there something similar for a Dolmar PS5100?

Reading this thread it appears the add-on kits for Stihls provide more robust catchers and with "double dogs" (huh?) make it easier to flush cut stumps.

Since I will be doing some pasture management and flush cutting stumps would the Dolmar benefit from something similar? And if so can someone point me towards a part number or manufacturer name? "Double dogs' did not help me much in Google. Thanks.

Is there something similar for a Dolmar PS5100?

Reading this thread it appears the add-on kits for Stihls provide more robust catchers and with "double dogs" (huh?) make it easier to flush cut stumps.

Since I will be doing some pasture management and flush cutting stumps would the Dolmar benefit from something similar? And if so can someone point me towards a part number or manufacturer name? "Double dogs' did not help me much in Google. Thanks.

Well I'm reading about Chain Catchers because every saw I can remember has Metal ones. So looking at the Small Sthil and my Echo cs352 the Chain Catchers are PLASTIC and made onto the clutch cover. He*l yes they SNAP right off. Cheap crap. So I'm limbing and a limb already cut gets against the bottom of the chain and normall the saw just draws this up and cuts then off but this one flipped the chain right off. My fault for not stopping but since it's rare to toss a chain I put it back on, set the tension and started the saw. Imagine my surprise when I noticed that small piece of orange plastic. Checking and it snapped so clean it's hard to see that it was once there. The saw is less than a year old and maybe Warranty will cover it. However it's a small saw and it may be not needed. The clutch cover is all plastic. Where the catcher went into a small hole on the saw body is also flimsy. Trying to rig another catcher appears would probably do damage. Since it's only a 34cc saw 16 inch bar what is the best solution?

Check to see if there is a mounting section/threaded hole to fit a metal one. My ms150 has the clutch cover plastic catcher but if that breaks you can fit a metal one onto the case. Just check.

Check to see if there is a mounting section/threaded hole to fit a metal one. My ms150 has the clutch cover plastic catcher but if that breaks you can fit a metal one onto the case. Just check.
Thanks. I'm taking it to my dealer when I go back to Bossier City La. I see only thin plastic but will look again. This may be a flaw in this saw. I just never noticed I need to check the 490 and 590 too. Have a great day.

Latest posts

Back