Chain Filing Training Videos?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello,

Have any of you come across or can recommend decent chain filing videos for those who understand proper saw usage but are new at sharpening chains? I have looked at both Stihl and Husqvarna web sites and have not found much. I am also not interested in the Pferd Chain Sharp 2-in-1 sharpening products - just the traditional filing guides.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello,

Have any of you come across or can recommend decent chain filing videos for those who understand proper saw usage but are new at sharpening chains? I have looked at both Stihl and Husqvarna web sites and have not found much. I am also not interested in the Pferd Chain Sharp 2-in-1 sharpening products - just the traditional filing guides.

Thanks,
Steve

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I have not used roller guides before but they look like an interesting concept. Unfortunately, Husky is pretty much gone from the area once the Big Boxes started selling Husky. I was hoping to find something on the regular Stihl and Oregon file guides which are more available in this area.

Thanks,
Steve

I have not used roller guides before but they look like an interesting concept. Unfortunately, Husky is pretty much gone from the area once the Big Boxes started selling Husky. I was hoping to find something on the regular Stihl and Oregon file guides which are more available in this area.

Thanks,
Steve
http://amzn.to/2FDAIls Don't need a dealer to buy one. 3/8 or .325. In my opinion, they are the best option for hand filing.

I see two things that may be nit picking but he needs to adjust that chain and the best thing about that roller guide is the depth gauge.

I see two things that may be nit picking but he needs to adjust that chain and the best thing about that roller guide is the depth gauge.
I really don't like the depth gauge tool on the file guide. I never feel like I get it to read consistently.

Back to the original question... I did find this, quite by accident. It didn't seem to be linked to the Stihl site unless it was segregated somewhere.

If you fast forward past the first three minutes it is actually a pretty good tutorial for using a standard filing guide.

There are lots of videos on youtube about using the Dremel chainsaw sharpening kit. I've never been able to sharpen a chain with a file but with the Dremel kit I can put a super sharp edge on a chain in 2 or 3 minutes. I've demo'ed the Dremel set up to several people and all of them were converts. It's basically idiot proof and fast. I use it on everything from my Stihl cordless with the tiny chain, a couple of mid sized and a Stihl O39 with a 20" bar. Just change the stone to match the chain size and away you go. Puts a very sharp edge on the teeth.

Lot of crap on YouTube. These videos, below, are basic, straightforward, and reliable, for using a file and standard file guide.

STIHL Sharpening Your Chain

Also
STIHL: Sharpening the Chain on Your Chainsaw

(Part of 13 part training series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGdgtWKJESVCGotQq5HUM3mQxmMMB1emw

EDIT: just noted that these are not the exact same, but content overlaps quite a bit with the one you linked in Post #7, above.

Philbert

Lot of crap on YouTube. These videos, below, are basic, straightforward, and reliable, for using a file and standard file guide.

STIHL Sharpening Your Chain

Also
STIHL: Sharpening the Chain on Your Chainsaw

(Part of 13 part training series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGdgtWKJESVCGotQq5HUM3mQxmMMB1emw

EDIT: just noted that these are not the exact same, but content overlaps quite a bit with the one you linked in Post #7, above.

Philbert

Thanks so much for posting these. I am sort of the chainsaw "Guru" for our statewide trail organization. I am trying to get our sawyers to start sharpening their own chains and these videos would be a great "How-To" place to start.

I just wish that there was a consistent way to find all of these good manufacturer videos. It looks like there were several similar "series" created over the years.

THe only "nit" I have with the videos is that of filing the raker with the gauge in place as you are actually filing the gauge too!

I am sort of the chainsaw "Guru" for our statewide trail organization. . . . I just wish that there was a consistent way to find all of these good manufacturer videos. It looks like there were several similar "series" created over the years.

I serve in a similar capacity with some volunteer groups.

Here is the link to the most current STIHL series:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGdgtWKJESVCGotQq5HUM3mQxmMMB1emw

You might also like this thread:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/some-simple-tools-to-teach-chainsaw-safety.287092/

Philbert

Back