chain grinder mtg

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkie62

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I picked up an Oregon sharpener that I could not pass up on @ Boonville a couple of yrs ago. Would like this grinder to for the teeth and my older Tecomec setup just for doing rakers. Anybody care to share pictures of their grinder setups ? Was thinking of a small parts washer also for cleaning chains. What is a good cleaner in general for a parts washer ? Any small heated parts washers on the market ? Have seen large ones but just looking for a smaller bench one for chains and saw parts.

Yes I bough a Tecomec Jolly Star over a month and have not quite decided how & where to mount it so it would be nice to see photos of how others have done it and couple of comments on how it worked out?

Anybody care to share pictures of their grinder setups ?
@SimonHS linked you to the key threads, above. The 511A thread shows a number of portable mounting options. My Chain Salvage thread shows my step ladder grinder mount. I have not posted yet the Oregon 554532 grinder stand too, which I recently got, and really like (shown with a clone grinder mounted).
IMG_0310.jpgOregon 554532 Grinder Stand.pngOregon Grinder Stand.jpg

Was thinking of a small parts washer also for cleaning chains. What is a good cleaner in general for a parts washer ? Any small heated parts washers on the market ? Have seen large ones but just looking for a smaller bench one for chains and saw parts.
I have tried a few things. Conventional parts washers use flammable solvents, and raise haz mat issues. I have used a crock pot (Goodwill) to heat up some water based cleaning agents (mostly for bicycle parts). Some guys use an ultrasonic cleaner (USC), which I feel is good for carbs, but overkill for chains. For several years now I have been using 'Super Clean' (or a similar, water based degreaser containing sodium hydroxide (lye)) which works really well, and is described in this thread:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/philbert-meets-the-stihl-rs3.202969/
Please share what you find and what works for you.

Philbert

Back