Chain help please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xj220_jagcar

Reaction score
Hey all, new to the forum. I am in search of a full skip chain for my MS290. I have seen many posts about skip chains, but not specifically one where I can find a 20" chain. My chain requirement is 81 tooth/.325"/.063". I can't find anything in a web search that meets that requirement in full skip. Reason I'm looking is because my oak trees are like cutting through concrete. Saw bogs down quickly using a semi-chisel comp chain and it's driving me crazy. I had a tune-up done 2 months ago and everything checked out great with the saw itself. Any direction for purchasing the chain I want is appreciated. Doesn't necessarily have to be a Stihl product as my dealer can't seem to locate any. Thanks all!

Welcome to A.S.!

Many 'full service' (e.g. not Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) saw dealers can make up any length of chain loop from a 100' roll, and carry specialty chains.
Many on-line dealers will also make up loops to any length (charge by the drive link, plus a service charge).

.325 skip tooth is not very common, although, some smaller saws come OEM with 3/8 low profile ('Picco') chains. So there may be stuff out there that is not well advertised. If you find one in a longer loop, a dealer should be able to 'downsize' it to fit.

Carlton K3LSK is a full chisel, skip chain, .325 pitch, .o63 gauge if you can find it. It is in their 2017 catalog.

Otherwise, consider:
- @John Lyngdal s .050 find above (need new bar);
- switching to 3/8 pitch chain (need new bar and drive sprocket);
- or making some 'Cowboy Skip Chain' with a Dremel tool:
https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...skiptooth-chain-from-removing-cutters.313430/
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/homemade-semi-skip-chain.270178/

Philbert

Hey all, new to the forum. I am in search of a full skip chain for my MS290. I have seen many posts about skip chains, but not specifically one where I can find a 20" chain. My chain requirement is 81 tooth/.325"/.063". I can't find anything in a web search that meets that requirement in full skip. Reason I'm looking is because my oak trees are like cutting through concrete. Saw bogs down quickly using a semi-chisel comp chain and it's driving me crazy. I had a tune-up done 2 months ago and everything checked out great with the saw itself. Any direction for purchasing the chain I want is appreciated. Doesn't necessarily have to be a Stihl product as my dealer can't seem to locate any. Thanks all!

You may have to get one made... I'm willing to, if you want one.

All, thanks for the input. @John Lyngdal I will look into that. @Philbert thanks for the insight. My dealer is a full service Stihl sales/parts/repair shop (along with John Deere farm dealer) and no luck. I will see if I can bring Carlton up for an option. @noodlewalker if I camt find anything in a few days, I may contact you about the offer.

Aside from that, can I put a .050" width bar on my 290? I haven't read anything about optional width, only lengths. This may give me more variety for search.

Thanks again!

Back