Chain is not cutting striaght

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Tawilson I had the same problem with my 044. I filed all my teeth the same size and it cut perfect. That was the problem I had.I dress (or file) my bar with every new chain or every other to keep the worn edge from getting to large.

Yeah, those guys were just messing around with all the bent bar stuff. I'm surprised someone didn't tell him to change bar oil.
By the way, you can buy 14 wooden shims for about a buck.

I have a box of large paper clips in my truck for paperwork, and have found you can bend an end wire out from the paper clip to clean out bar rails. they are also small enough to clean out the bar oil holes in the bar. I also keep a small paint brush in the toolbox to clean the saw before reassembly.

I hooked up a hose off of the 2nd air tank of the air brakes on the bucket truck and ran it out the back to a self retracting hose real. I can pull the hose out and blow off the saws and then send it back in. Works great and no extra air compressor.

I do like the brush idea for the climbing crew. They don't have the air luxury.

Can't say I have that problem but yes I can. I have also used it to run an air hammer to chip away at Ice in cutters and on roofs.

tawilson said:
I keep some packages of those wooden shims around. They're handy for cleaning out the groove and scraping crud off the saw. I also lay one across the bar to see how even the rails when it's in the vise. They are also handy for stirring paint and digging cat food out of the can. You can even shim with them.

Ever tried one of those tiny plastic tools designed from scraping the crud out of the bar groove?

Compressed air usually works pretty good for cleaning out the bar groove, they also make special tools for it too, but i use a metal rake tine in a pinch. Also after dressing the bar, top and sides, dont forget to clean it out so the metal shavings aren't in the bar groove. I hand file, and its a great skill to have to be able to quickly and efficiently sharpen in the field. And there's nothing better than sharpening a saw and it cutting like butter.

i know how to fix that

ABOVE & BEYOND said:
Anyone, As odd as this seems, I know what causes a chainsaw to cut uneven. I just don't know how to fix the chain without wearing my cutters and rakes down to nothing. I am operating a 440 Magnum Stihl and when cutting logs 10" in diameter and greater the chain pulls to the right (Looking down on the saw). All of my cuts made today were time consuming and always on an embarrasing angle.

So, with that being said....if the saw is always pulling to the right, do I need to file down the cutters on the right side to match the left side or vice versa. Please help.

Geoff
hi

Latest posts

Back