Chain jumping off sprocket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack76

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought a husky288 and it came with a 20" bar. The bar had the same pitch and guage as the sprocket and my chain. When i went to cut the chain jumped the bar. I looked up the oregon number of the bar and found that the bar was for a eight toothed sprocket. The sprocket for the 288 was an 7 tooth. Could this have caused the chain to jump off? I have since bought the correct bar. I am milling with this saw on a logosol setup with a ripping chain and am new at it.
Hard telling not knowing why the chain jumped, ruined my first chain. Maybe sprocket is worn so I will invest in another??

I bought a husky288 and it came with a 20" bar. The bar had the same pitch and guage as the sprocket and my chain. When i went to cut the chain jumped the bar. I looked up the oregon number of the bar and found that the bar was for a eight toothed sprocket. The sprocket for the 288 was an 7 tooth. Could this have caused the chain to jump off? I have since bought the correct bar. I am milling with this saw on a logosol setup with a ripping chain and am new at it.
Hard telling not knowing why the chain jumped, ruined my first chain. Maybe sprocket is worn so I will invest in another??

Now and then they come off but not often. if it happens a lot something is out off true or wrong .Notice what causes this if you can was it loose when it happened?

I doubt the smaller diameter of the drive rim caused it, maybe othe issues with it.
How about the fixture forcing the bar not straight?

reply to lone wolf

Turned out the drum and sprocket were worn. I got another that was in better shape while I wait to buy a new one. I've been working on milling technique now. I also bought a new bar. The logosol timber jig takes some getting used to but each board comes out better.

I . . . found that the bar was for a eight toothed sprocket. The sprocket for the 288 was an 7 tooth. Could this have caused the chain to jump off? I have since bought the correct bar.

As others noted, the number of sprocket teeth should not have made a difference if the sprocket is for the correct chain pitch. If Oregon referenced that particular bar for use with an 8 tooth sprocket, it probably had to do with specifying the correct number of chain drive links to use with that combination.

Philbert

Back