Chain loop help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brick

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have different brands of 325 chain, like Oregon,Carlton, and husqvarna. Can I use Oregon splice loops on the other two brands? I also have 325 58 gauge chain, can I use 325 50 gauge loops on the heavier gauge? Or must I match the exact brand with the exact gauge? Thanks in advance for any help.

My understanding is some Carlton & Oregon stuff is compatible, & some Oregon & Husky stuff is. Usually presets & tie straps have to match guage also, but there are exceptions.
@Philbert is pretty good with this stuff

Manufacturers will always tell you to use their stuff. Oregon used to make all the Husqvarna chain, and owns Carton, so there is usually compatibility if you match the right stuff.

Presets can vary in several dimensions:
Preset Dimensions.png

Guage can be tricky, because some drive links are swaged:
Swaged Drive Link.png
You need to match the thickness at the top, where the rivet passes through, not at the bottom, where it meets the bar groove. Most Oregon .050 and .058 gauge chain use the same presets. But as noted, some (like narrow kerf and 'Nano' chain) don't. Most STIHL chains use .063 presets (unless they don't).

Only way to know for sure is to measure or test fit. Sometimes presets that seem to fit will be too tight or too loose when spun, because they are only off by a few thousandths.

Philert

Back