Chain loosened on Mac 110 each use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

560Dennis

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I cant figure this one out, why I set the tension on the bar ,thighen the bar clamp nut . Use the saw cut a 6 inch log for example ,half way thought the the chain is loose again .‍♂️

Does it just have one stud coming out of the saw? It's odd that there's just one nut.

Does the wood smoke? Do you get sawdust or wood chips out of the saw?

Try putting a block of wood under the nose of your bar before you adjust and tighten it.

This has the bar tensioned in the same manner as when cutting, when you adjust and tighten it.

I had a Logger tell me to do this, and Husqvarna specifically mentions doing this in several of the owners manuals I have for some of my saws

Doug

I found a picture and there really IS only one stud/nut. Possibly the whole tensioner is plastic...

It kind of LOOKS like the bar would fall off during normal operation, honestly. :laugh:

5b6d_1_grande.gif

Image2072190506857894190.jpg

And how does the drive sprocket look? If it has grooves wore in it it will be difficult to set chain tension.

I’ll go out on a limb and guarantee that you aren’t lifting the tip of the bar while you’re tensioning the chain and tightening the bar nut. Every saw manual out there specifies to do it that way. Do an experiment: tension the chain with the bar just hanging in the air, leave the bar nut loose, then lift the tip. The chain will get loose. You want to tension it in that tip lifted, chain loose position, because that’s the only position the bar will remain while you run the saw. I do it by setting the tip of the bar on a log, bench, whatever, hang onto the rear handle with one hand, use the scrench with the other.

+1 on putting a little pressure on the bar when tensioning.
+1 on checking the drive sprocket, a worn spur will be very hard to correctly tension if the chain starts riding in and out of the wear grooves

Back