Chain pitch question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxamow

Perpetual lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need a chain for my new bar which is a 14 inch 1/4 pitch with a roller nose. Being a chainsaw noob I've already bought the wrong chain once so i thought i would double check here. Im looking at a 14 inch chain, 1/4 pitch, 72 drive link, .50 gauge thickness. I have already bought a 1/4 sprocket for the saw also. Am i missing anything?

I need a chain for my new bar which is a 14 inch 1/4 pitch with a roller nose.
Welcome to A.S.!

Let's start with some basics:
This is a 'roller nose':
Screen shot 2018-09-18 at 10.00.21 PM.png

This is a 'sprocket tip':

Screen shot 2018-09-18 at 10.01.07 PM.png

Which do you have?

The exact length of a chain loop varies - not all '14-inch' bars are the same. That is why we measure loops by the number of drive links. This may be stamped on the side of your bar (e.g. 'xx DL'), along with the pitch (1/4") and gauge (.043, .050, .063, etc.). If you are replacing a chain that fits, just count the number of drive links on the old loop.

Roller nose bars can be used with any pitch chain, as long as they are the correct gauge. Sprocket tip bars must be used with chains that match the pitch of the nose sprocket.

Philbert

I need a chain for my new bar which is a 14 inch 1/4 pitch with a roller nose. Being a chainsaw noob I've already bought the wrong chain once so i thought i would double check here. Im looking at a 14 inch chain, 1/4 pitch, 72 drive link, .50 gauge thickness. I have already bought a 1/4 sprocket for the saw also. Am i missing anything?
Well, for most other chain pitches, cutter type. In 1/4 pitch, your options are much more limited. Is this going to be used for carving or normal cutting?

https://loggerchain.com/25AP072G-CA...050-gauge-72-Drive-links-25AP072G-25AP072.htm

Do you have the old original chain? If so then you just count the number of drive ,teeth, which are called links in saw chain lingo, that will give you the correct length for your bar. From the numbers on the bar you gave I am quite sure the chain is .050 gauge.

It’s defiantly 14 in bar, and .050 gauge. The other letters indicate bar mount pattern, and that it is 1/4in pitch. And like others have stated. The length of chain is dependent on the bar length and the saw it’s mounted too. There is a general rule of thumb on length but it can very by a link or two. Depending on the saw, the chain tensioner might be able to take up the slack.

1/4 is kind of rare to a degree, most saw shops won’t stock it. Maybe in a reel but probably not pre made loops.

Some shops have 1/4, or it is available online from many places. Just make sure you have the correct DL count.

As an alternative you may want to look at converting that saw to 3/8 low profile as the chains are much less expensive. If you plan to use it a lot this would be cheaper in the long run.

Its a homelite super 2. The long story is i picked up a couple on craigslist, i thought they would be fun to restore, which i have right up to the point of needing a chain as the last step. I know converting from the 3/8 to 1/4 is kind of a step backwards but the bar i wanted was 1/4 pitch. When i bought the bar i just read that it fit homelite super2, not realizing it was a different pitch.

The original 3/8 pitch chain has 53 drive links.
Why are you converting it to 1/4" chain? That is typically only used only on small, low powered saws (including battery powered saws), and for carving.

It is relatively easy to replace identical parts. When converting, some uncertainty is introduced. Even being off by a link or 2 can cause fit problems.

As noted, there are more chain options, and more availability, of the wideoused 3/8 low profile chains.

EDIT: post crossed with OP's explanation, above

Philbert

Latest posts

Back