Chain pitch question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sure do appreciate that offer. Honestly i have everything for the saw to run 3/8 pitch. I have a new chain, old bar and drive sprocket, all of which i will keep on hand. I dont foresee ever using this saw other than starting it once in while, hence why the impracticality of running the 1/4 inch stuff didn't really play into things.

Ultimately the saw shop a couple blocks from where i work carries 1/4 in bulk and says he can make me chain. I will still keep all the 3/8 equipment for it in case i change back or sell it some day. Thank you for the information, suggestions and offers, you guys are first class in my book.

Honestly i will never actually use the saw as i have no reason or need to cut wood. This was just a random project, trying something new. The bar was choosen only because i liked the look. I should have been more clear about my intentions for the saw earlier. I should say though that your wisdom was not lost on me, i understand that 3/8 is superior to 1/4 in performance and availability. If i were going to use this saw i would put the 3/8 equipment back on it.

So after all this you are going to ignore all the advise and do what you were going to do anyway? Sheesh

He asked for advise on what he had, not advise on what will cut faster or be easier to find. He ended up doing the best thing he could by going to the saw shop and have the shop make him a loop.

Quarter inch pitch chain isn't for everyone. Not for someone that hands the saw to someone that won't adjust the chain. My problem is that it derails easily most likely due to the tiny drive links. Don't give up on it until you have tried both Oregon 25ap and Stihl 13rm as the first is a real smooth cutting kind of narrow kerf and the second one closer to a chipper chain with wider kerf. It has different nose properties whether stuck in the nose sprocket or going around a hard nose bar that are different than 3/8lp. The called length of a bar seems more distorted in the 1/4 class compared to the actual loop length or available useful "blade" than others. Perhaps 72 links is called different things, I did the math and it is a bit shorter (four tenths loop, two tenths usable) than a 13 inch 56 drive link 0.325 loop. Looks like assuming the same size nose a 52 dl 3/8 chain (0.367+-) is an inch more usable. Pretty sure I bought a 76 drive link 14" bar with Oregon on it, Cannon is 77-78 for a 14 inch called quarter sized nose. I do think Stihl calls 72 14".

I have it rigged up on rear handle Stihl 200, and a 241. Both 16" 8? DL. I have a bunch of saws so, it is sort of a novelty. Really smooth, and I cut a bunch of limb wood for my dad (old) about the size of your wrist. He can get a quick hot fire in his wood shop in the winter. I had an old Echo 351 that got me interested in 1/4. Never heard of it before that. Only available in semi chisel as far as I know. Last forever on a pole saw cutting up in the sky away from the rocks and nails!

I personally did not care for 1/4" chain on my little saw. It jumped easy and seemed to get dull much easier than 3/8 LP. My small Johnny saw now takes 50 DL loops (common for Stihl saws) and I like it better, especially with a loop of Stihl PS.

Back