Chain Saw Diapers - Keep Your Cases Cleaner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've known about "diapers" for a long time. My dad's company was one of the original manufacturers of components for meltblown machines. Meltblown oil-absorbent pads (ie: diapers) have been around for a long time,20-30 years, although the general public has only become aware of them in the last 10-15.

Anyways, I have always made a bottom liner of diaper material for my saw boxes etc., to me its the only way to go. Who needs goo dripping off the bottom of their saw, everytime they pick it up.

Its great stuff - give it a try, you'll like it. One pad lasts a looooong time.

All along I thought this was 'feature' to keep the spare chain laying in the bottom good and lubed up for when they are needed. LOL

Actually, I put a handfull of Elm curlys under a grease rag in the bottom to absorb any oil that does end up in the case. The chains are in a clamshell with some non detergent 30 weight.

Again...

Hey fish, I'm smiling again. Thanks

I bought some of the absorbent towel/pads, probably at WalMart and use them under some of the saws that are setting there. Some tend to leak a bit more than others and it helps to keep the oil from running off the shelf and onto the floor.

I think the note on the package says each one will hold 3 quarts, but I have not tested it to the limit yet. If that add is a far off as the one on diapers (8-10#'s etc, they never hold that much) I won't be surprised. Initial results are pretty good however.

Mark

Sort of a thread bump . . .

photo 5.jpg

Anyway, the oil absorbent pads / 'diapers' still work well. But a while back I figured that I could stop wasting the bar oil, and using more pads than necessary, if I drained the bar oil out of saws that would be sitting for a few months or more. I simply drain the oil back into the jug or container (I try to keep a 1 quart bottle of bar oil in each saw case, just in case).

The disposable, paper funnels from the gas stations work well for this, and I don't have to clean them.

Philbert

Oh please, do you really need to pamper a saw and its case that much? Thats kinda like guys who wash their truck beds out every time they get a teeny bit of dirt in them. I use my saws for work, I don't worship them.

A clean and well-maintained saw, is a happy saw. :rock2:

They also cut a lot faster.............:innocent:

If you need a diaper in a pinch and happen to bee at a gas station take a quick look around the pumps. My local station keeps a "spill kit" in a red 55gal trash can. It's filled with diapers and absorbent. I've grabbed a pad or two in a pinch when I have the new car and overfill the ga can... Makes up for the dry wind shield washer buckets that need filling.

I tried to find some on eBay but no-one will mail to Alaska.
? Isn't Alaska still served by USPS?

These are a standard industrial / shop / auto mechanic supply type product available from many vendors (see first post for one source). Might be hard to find in smaller quantities, but you might be able to get a truck maintenance shop to spare a few.

Philbert

? Isn't Alaska still served by USPS?

These are a standard industrial / shop / auto mechanic supply type product available from many vendors (see first post for one source). Might be hard to find in smaller quantities, but you might be able to get a truck maintenance shop to spare a few.

Philbert

Yes of course we get the mail, but finding someone on eBay who will MAIL them? So far, no joy. All the sellers either ship UPS or simply "do not ship to Alaska". Sucks it does.

Sucks it does.
Sounds ridiculous (on the sellers' part). I thought that USPS was even subsidized on some shipments to AK.

Maybe try some non-eBay sellers?
Search for 'oil absorbant pads' on Amazon shows up an 'Oil-Dri' brand 15" X 60" roll for $5 shipped; a box of 100 - 19" X 15" for $30 shipped; and free shipping on lots of others with total orders over $35 (e.g. $38 for a box of more than you can practically use - share with your friends.). I assume that some of these guys will ship to the last frontier (you are where we get the oil from in the first place, right?).

Sent you a PM with links.

Philbert

Sounds great! I store any of mine that still have oil and fuel in them on their sides, clutch side up, to help slow down the leakage.

My saws are stored on wire shelves. A saw that leaks puts oil on top of the saw under it. Cardboard boxes get cut up and put under the saws. The pads are a good idea.

Back