Chain saw selection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmorriso86

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Now I know this can be a loaded question but I’m tired of buying crap that just doesn’t work. Thinking of the Stihl 261c for the autotune. I cut 1-2 cords a year ranging from early spring to late fall in Utah with elevation ranging from 5500-10000. 20-30 inch round at the most the only new one I ever bought was a echo cs400 and let’s just say it was a hunk of junk. The stihl that I’ve had was way old one from the 70’s and a 36 mag loved that one till someone thought they needed it more than me. The 36 still has the power at elevation to cut but weighed a ton. I’m just wanting one that I’m not fighting with every time I go in the mountains to get to start? Any opinions I’m not brand loyal

my favorite set-up was an old husky 385xp with a 20" bar and chain on it.... that thing was nasty...:D:D:chainsaw:..

my favorite set-up was an old husky 385xp with a 20" bar and chain on it.... that thing was nasty...:D:D:chainsaw:..
How did they work at altitude trying to get one restarted is my biggest problem when warm on the mountain? I liked my in laws 455 rancher

Ha!

maybe a used 70cc saw?

I have a cs590, an ms362, and a 262xp in the 60cc size. The Echo is not quite what the others are, but for the price is a no brainer. Everybody should have one if you have to buy new.

if you buy used, you could get a nicer saw for the same money. Or you could get screwed.

the Echo NEEDS to be tuned. The factory tuning sucks, and not just with Echo's.

Ha!

maybe a used 70cc saw?

I have a cs590, an ms362, and a 262xp in the 60cc size. The Echo is not quite what the others are, but for the price is a no brainer. Everybody should have one if you have to buy new.

if you buy used, you could get a nicer saw for the same money. Or you could get screwed.

the Echo NEEDS to be tuned. The factory tuning sucks, and not just with Echo's.
I really don’t mind spending the cash I’m looking for something I’m not spending 30 mins trying to restart every tank my arm is getting to old for that. My 400 was a lot better after I pulled the adjustment caps off

I'd go with a Stihl 362 with a 20" bar. 30" rounds will not be a problem. If you don't want the weight of a 362 a 261 with an 18" bar will do fine.
I've had an Echo 680 for some time now, always starts and runs. Echo saws need a bit of tweaking but they run and cut fine. The 680 will handle a 24" bar with no problem.

The 400 I had the chain went loose in less than a minute and would never restart when hot does the 590 have those problems?
The tensioner can be a weak point. If you tighten the bar too much it can pull apart. I had it happen once, but its an easy fix. Never had a hot start issue with any of my 3 Echo saws.

Ms 311 would be more in budget at $519 and be at 59cc’s could easily pull a 20 inch bar and when needed a 25 inch

Latest posts

Back