Chain saw trencher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
The Local tree Arborist in our town told be that he saw once in a trade book a conversion for a chain saw so that it could be used for trenching. He said that it would trench 6-12". Do any of you know of the company that makes such of a conversion kit? Thanks

Yeah, I saw that once. Didn't pay much attention to it though. I figured it would just tear up your clutch, sprocket, etc.

I had a groundman that did that with an 026 every day! :angry: Pissed me off cause I had to keep his saw working when he tore it up every day. :(

Howdy,

I would not believe that this sort of application would be a very good idea. Due to the highspeed of modern chainsaws, the potential for disasterous accident due to bounce or kickback, should make such a chain quite lethal.

Furthermore, the dirt in the joints of the sawchain, should cause excessive wear of the rivet flanges, leading to rapid elongation or stretch, and then breakage of the chain.

In addition, the saw itself is not designed to withstand so much dirt. The seals should go out rather soon on the current direct drive type saws.

With an old gear drive the idea can work and with a 1/2 pitch carbide chain, and can do a reasonable job if in an area at least reasonably free of rocks. Hitting baseball size rocks has a way of knocking off or fracturing the carbides however, even on a gear drive. I did put in an underground powerwire this way once many years ago.

Regards,
Walt Galer

Latest posts

Back