ArboristSite.com Sponsors

chain sharpening ONLY PLEASE! "Chain Sharpening"

Discussion in 'Chainsaw Stickies' started by Naked Arborist, Dec 13, 2012.

1. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla Olympic Piss-reving wanna be.

Bump for the peanut gallery. First, a comment that I haven't seen mentioned. I think I have better results with a really snug new bar. As they wear and open up, there is more room for chatter. I'm liking the solid, smooth feeling I'm getting by filing a new chain on a new bar. Zero chatter. Snugged up with the brake on its taking a nice edge.

And a question: any tips for smoothing the fresh burr? As you file any edge you effectively raise a small burr. In sharpening a knife you work the burr in both directions, then gently remove the excess. I don't recall mention of folks de-buring their cutters.

2. Jan-Sietze

Jan-Sietze ArboristSite Operative

3. heimannm

heimannm Addicted to ArboristSite

It requires a very special grinder to sharpen square chisel.

I used my Homelite 410 chain vise today, sweet. Carlton File-O-Plate works well too.

Mark

4. neely

neely Addicted to ArboristSite

good post

moondoggie likes this.
  5. Huskybill

Huskybill Addicted to ArboristSite

I sat my son down and step by step showed him how to sharpen a chain properly. Only because he sharpened his chain on his new saw to death. I taught him about the gullet, and using a file n guide. And both angles when filing. Doing the rakers. It’s the difference between nice square chips or saw dust. He tried the saw he sharpened while i explained it to him and he said wow.

Once we take the time to sharpen the chain correctly all I do is make one pass with the file n guide when I gas up the saw. This way it’s always razor sharp.

president likes this.
  6. stihldragon

stihldragon ArboristSite Operative

If I'm on the job and need to touch up my chain quickly, " similar to a soldier fixing his rifle on the front line", I can look at each tooth and sharpen only the few that really need sharpening. I was surprised with the before and after results.

Sent from my Z557BL using Tapatalk