Chain sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing is you have folks with powersaws [ chainsaws] that really should
Good to hear someone else call it a "powersaw". I thought it was just a Canadian thing. Where I grew up the only time it was referred to as a "chainsaw" was on the owners manual which was never read anyway.

I imagine that the local sawmill that uses a 30" diameter circular saw blade to rip big cottonwood logs for making pallets would call theirs a power saw. If they hit an embedded steel spike in the log, it can cost them about $400 in repair cost alone. Now add to that the cost of down time.

I believe the term "power saw" is a bit nebulous.

The term "powersaw" is just a hangover form the early days of chainsaw introduction to the pulpwood industry. It just meant you were using a motor driven saw rather then the standard bow saw which, where I grew up was called a Swede saw. Bucking Billy Ray Smith, our Canadian modern version of Paul Bunyan, still calls it a powersaw.

They call snowmobiles 'snow machines' in Alaska. Down here, snow machines make snow for the ski hills. Snow throwers, snow blowers, . . . (wonder why I am thinking so much about snow . . . )

Philbert

I have been sharpening chains since I was 10 , daddy would cut and I kept the chains sharp . and the small wood loaded. It is not rocket science. Anyone can get a chain to cut if they put a little effort into it. If you cant sharpen a chain get a dam axe . The thing is you have folks with powersaws [ chainsaws] that really should not have a sharp knife. Those folks you cant help
Exactly.
One of my neighbors bought an MS261 this year. He brought it over one day and had me look at the chain. I touched it up in like 15-20 minutes. I tried to explain that cutting with a dull chain won't just overheat the bar. That it will over rev the motor. He said " It compensates for that"-I guess he was trying to refer to m-tronic. To us, its a chainsaw. To people like him, its a giant belt sander.

Back