chain types

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickwritt

Reaction score
Recently decided to check out the internet for replacement chain saw loops, as my little town has limited availability and although I have owned and used chain saw for years, I am a little confused over the many different kinds and types I found out there. My current saw uses a 3/8" pitch, .50 gauge chain. I've found all different kinds out there. Can they all be used on the same saw, or is a different sprocket or bar needed for some as opposed to others - even though they are 3/8" pitch and .50 gauge? Is it possible to use 3/8" and 3/8" low pitch interchangeably? Any help would be appreciated!

Howdy,

When you order chain, you need to have the following information in hand:

The number of drivelinks in your old loop of chain.

The number stamped on each drivelink tang. (That portion that extends down into the bar groove as the chain is on the saw).

(In addition, the make and model of your saw is useful for a knowledgeable supplier to double check the above information).

These two items will enable any knowledgeable supplier to tell what you need for an equivalent replacement. In addition, you should be aware if your chain has been a "Low Kickback" type of chain, or if you desire a replacement that is not. Your supplier is supposed to ask you this. (Most do not seem to).

Regards,
Walt Galer

tw,
i really hate to step on any toes, but, to buy any saw chain loop for any saw you need- pitch x gauge x number of drive links. protect yourself; marty

Howdy Marty,

The number stamped on the drivelink tang gives the manufacturer, the pitch, and the gauge. (As a code). Of course the drivelink count is needed to get the length. Having the saw model confirms if the count was correct, or if someone may have removed a drivelink to shorten a stretched loop. (It also is a clue as to whether only Low Kick design chain should be supplied). A key to the industry numbers was always published in the Windsor Application Guide (catalog) when I did it. I believe Oregon has one in their Filing and Maintainence manual if not their catalog anymore. Stihl of course would not admit that anyone else exists!

Regards,
Walt Galer

Thanks tundrotto, that web site

http://www.madsens1.com/sub4.htm

has a lot of information, and for a guy like me I learned a lot.

After reading it over last night I spent tonight filing chain. I must saw I never used my feeler gages to file my chains before, but it was a nice improvement in performance. By the way, do your normally drop down to a slightly smaller round file when your round chain gets to the end of its life(gets worn back a good ways)? Anyway, now my neighbors think I've lost my mind because I had to test out the fruits of my labor.... so I'm out slicing up wood at 10 at night!

Frank

frank,
10:00 at nite. what is wrong with that? we run generators and light towers. when a compitetion gets close we have been know to run 3:00 am. where upstate ny? marty

glad you found it useful fpangie! there is nothing wrong with running saws at 10pm - i do it in the garage sometimes at 2-3am - what are they gonna do? kick me out of my own house (i cant hear anyone on the door when my husky is running). gypo logger and others will be much more knowledgeable about filing than i will so im sure they will help if you have any specific questions re: filing.

I'm in southern saratoga county. How about yourself chainsawworld, how far are you from these parts?

Latest posts

Back