Chain won't spin after tightening the nut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As promised, I will take some more pictures by end of week, as dont have much time.
buzz sawyer, maybe it is reflection from camera flash as the new drum has just been mounted but chain saw has not used with it still. Also, the problem was there with the old drum as well.

Another thing to try would be to mount the side cover with a thin washer on each of the bar studs between the bar and the side cover. If the chain spools freely when you tighten the nuts, you will know that the spacing of the side cover is the issue.

Hi,
here the images as promised. Actually, now i saw the shiny spot on the plate, where most probably chain has rubbed. So, I guess it is the plate that causing teh problem. Also, bar is not touching the sprocket and without bar and chain, but side cover on, and nuts tightened, the sprocket spins OK. Last picture is spacing between the plates without the bar mounted. The fourth is the shiny mark.

20200404-170950.jpg

20200404-171034.jpg

20200404-171038.jpg

20200404-171141.jpg

20200404-171449.jpg

As I suggested, try mounting the side cover with a couple of thin washers on the bar studs between the bar and the side cover and tighten the nuts to see if spacing of the side cover is the issue. If it is, just copy the flat part of the side cover guide plate onto sheet metal or even the flat side of a plastic container and make a proper spacer. Might have to stack a couple up, depending on the material you have.

Hi,
need to find some thin washers as the only ones I have are about 1-1,5mm thick. Might sound stupid, but once I copy the flat part of the plate and get it cut from a thin metal sheet, how do I attach that to existing plate or it will be held by the two nuts and that will be reliable enough? As the original plate is being held with additional rivets as seen on picture.

Spacer doesn't have to be attached to anything, the two holes for the bar studs will keep it in position between the bar and the side cover. Make sure to cut a couple of holes for the rivet heads so the spacer will lay flat against the guide plate on the side cover.

Latest posts

Back