Chain won't spin after tightening the nut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Although, I put a 32" Deere bar on my MS660, I trimmed the bar maybe 3/8" or so, it went on the Stihl with the chain tensioner about maxed out. I ran it, but a touch loose. I took a link out and was Mucho Bueno...... So, if you don't know how much was cut off the bar, could be 1/4"-1".......it could be a link or 2 off.

The OP did say the tension screw was all the way to the left, so, if anything he should add a link to chain. Or cut bar a little more and contour it to fit around clutch, so it is not so tight to but bar and chain back on.

I see only four obvious causes from here.
The chainbrake in the sprocket cover has been activated.
The plastic buffer guide is out of allignment .
The drive links are burred if a chain toss happened
Or a tie strap has became elevated off one rivet.

Husqvarna 346... got the chain sharpened after hitting some barbwire in a tree, lol... put it back on and I can't figure this out but the chain will not move in the guide bar after tightening the front nut. Everything looks fine and dandy... chain seated around rim sprocket well and in the guidebar groove. I can tighten the back nut with some torque and I can tighten the front nut by hand and the chain still spins like I want it, but if I torque the front nut with the scrench, the chain won't move. As I always say... I know enough to be dangerous, lol... but I cannot figure this out.

It has a Husky Techlite bar. One thing I don't like, the slotted screw that you turn to adjust chain tension... it is all the way to the left from the getgo. I guess it doesn't matter long as the chain snugs correctly. What could be wrong?

Old thread, I know, but for anyone looking this up.....
I had the same problem. Had to follow advice to reset the brake, but STILL had a problem . Found that the metal band in the clutch cover that contracts around the clutch was slightly out of place. Pushed it back in place and voila, chain now moves after reassembly

Hi all,
have the same problem, but with an old Stihl 08s. I bought it a while ago, but has not have much use. everytime I take the chain of and put it back, it moves freely before I tighten the two nuts on the cover. If I tighten them fingertight and then apply a bit of more torque with the wrench, it is still a bit OK. but if tighten all the way, the chain stops moving. Also, in that state I am unable to screw in or out the tension nut. Could it be some of the reasons mentioned previously? What should be the chain width for that model? As I can only think of the chain being too wide? But if that is the case, would the problem with the tension nut also appear?

NOt really sure, as this is how I got the saw. BTW there are no spacers between body and cover, or at least none that fit on the bolts for the cover.

Thanks for that. Did not know it. Wont be trying to tension with bar nuts tight then. As for the exploded view- I found it and it looks like there are no spacers there. How can I check if the bar and chain are compatible in terms of width?

PS how tight should the nuts be? I mean do I have to tighten them until they cannot be tighten any further?

As for the exploded view- I found it and it looks like there are no spacers there.
Nothing like #31 or #32 (*IPL from different saw*)?

Screen shot 2020-03-16 at 1.55.14 PM.png
How can I check if the bar and chain are compatible in terms of width?
You can try posting photos, especially close ups of any information stamped into the tail of the bar, and of the chain.

Philbert

#31 plate is there for sure. #32, i am not sure(or it is for none chain brake and chain brake models?mine is none chain brake). I can take some pics but will be in a few days.

You guys are awesome for trying to help the op out. Great forum.

I had a gut feeling he bend a link in the chain when it hit steel.

Latest posts

Back