chainmail socks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sport Faller

Gate Pimp
Reaction score
Where do you guys get your chainmail socks from, I'm getting into chopping and am having a tugh time finding some

Thanks, Jake

For sure! The other option you have is to try and track down your local axemans association if they exist there. they would have access to all that sort of stuff. Also try Arden Cogar Junior-I know he's on Facebook, he would also know.

Ill see what I can find out here. I know they are about $500 (Australian$). The way I look at it though-ya cant put a price on safety.

Affordable Canadian Source

Found your thread while I too was looking for chainmail socks. I finally found a Canadian company which advertises them quite affordably.
Look about halfway down the page here.

The ones covering just the feet are under $50, the foot and shin ones are about $110.

I have no affiliation with this company whatsoever, and haven't enquired or placed an order, so I can't vouch as to their quality. It's just one possible source I finally found while I was looking for them myself.

I'll likely be placing an order soon, and hopefully I or someone else can assess their quality.

Incidentally, for chopping, can I get by with just the socks, or do I want the ones that also protect the lower leg?

Hope this helps someone out there.

I would highly recommend buying the 'leggins' version (shin protection) as they come higher up the leg which affords coverage when cutting the standing block. Socks would be ok for underhand but even then the others still offer a greater coverage. Just out of interest though, the price-is that in Canadian dollars? US $? judging from the pic thy look to be an excellent product.

Cheers!

The socks seem alright

I ordered the tall socks on 9/4 and received an email saying it would be 1-2 weeks before they were ready and mailed. Mailed 9/12 and arrived 9/17 via UPS. Total cost with shipping was $126.94 USD.

View attachment 253245
They come up to just below the knee...

Trying to give some sense of scale
View attachment 253247
(It's just the standard 24" four-fold ruler.)
View attachment 253246
Attached very crudely just to take a photo.
View attachment 253248
Close up on the rings, they're all welded closed
View attachment 253249

Don't mean to photobomb anyone, but I had a devil of a time finding them, so I could imagine this might be of interest to others.
Ring O.D. ~.207"
Ring I.D. ~.162
Wire Dia. .027"
I know they don't add up, but rings aren't necessarily perfectly round.
Each sock weighs 430 g. or just under 1 lb.
The bottom of the "sock" portion is quite long. I'm a size 8.5 US, and it covers the sole of my foot back to the beginning of the heel. Construction looks quite good, no burs or uneven/bunched areas. The real test of course would be to hit them with an axe...should have gotten a small sample of the same material to try.
Questions, comments, criticism, let me know. Hope this helps someone out there, I had to spend a lot of time looking just to find them.

Back