chainoil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nositting

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey guys,
we've been using our saws as recommended by the manufacturer, but i've heard a lot of people talk about changing their gas:eek:il ratio to 50:50. is this a standard practice? does anyone do this? please let me know either way, THANKS!

Thanks to the EPA, new saws are dictated to emit less pollution. The saw manufacturers have gone to 50-1 to cut emmisions and made some modifications to the saws to accommodate the leaner mix. Research and better oil make this possible too. I get the pre-measured bottles but mix it a little rich rather than taking a chance on running too lean. i.e.- only using 2.25 gallons of gas for the 2.5 gallon mix bottle, .8-.9 gallons for the 1 gal. mix bottle, etc.
I use Amoco Premium gas and Stihl 2-cycle oil in everything, no problems. But there are several good mix oils out there.

Your thread is titled 'chain oil', which has nothing to do with fuel mix. Bar and chain lube is strictly for lubrication of the bar and chain.

Last edited:
Uuuuh, putting less gas with the same amount of oil will make it run leaner:alien:

He is talking about the mix rate not the carb.

If one runs a 1:1 mix, they will not be able to see for the smoke. Then they will have to clean plugs very often.

I have heard some people say that ethanol buns hotter, so they want to run their mix around 45:1. I have had no problems with new gas at 50:1 and I dont realy feather the throttle too much either.

we use the 50:1 mix and it is pre mixed in a 500 gal tank for all the chainsaws and weedeaters and such. its not agitated so i dont know if it gets mixed very well, but have had no problems

Back