Chains do not fit my Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel B

Reaction score
Hello,

DISCLAIMER: I know very little about chainsaws. I am having difficulty finding the proper chain for an older Husqvarna 55 Rancher which they no longer produce. It's probably 8+ years old. It has an 18" bar that used to say Farm Tough and has the following engraved: 18" 45cm 3/8" 68DL 050 1,3mm. I went to Lowes and bought an 18" Husqvarna chain which obviously did not work(too small). So I brought it back and bought the 20" Husqvarna chain that says it's compatible with the 55 Rancher. On that 20" chain box it says, Chain Type: H80 72V. Drive Links 72. Pitch 3/8". Gauge .050". File size 7/32"(5.5mm). This 20" chain is too long. I even tried adjusting the tensioner(Is that what you call it?) to see if that would help. It was still too big. Looking at the old chain(has 80 engraved on each 'tooth'), it's about 19" if I had to guess. What am I doing wrong? I can post pics if that would help. Thanks in advance. -Joel

EDIT: Thank you everyone! With all your help I was able to obtain the chain I needed. Special thanks to Locust Cutter for the direct link!

That was one example but it wasn't a safety chain so it will cu more aggressively than a safety chain will. The box will also have the filing instructions for sharpening it with a file should you want to try.

Hello,

DISCLAIMER: I know very little about chainsaws. I am having difficulty finding the proper chain for an older Husqvarna 55 Rancher which they no longer produce. It's probably 8+ years old. It has an 18" bar that used to say Farm Tough and has the following engraved: 18" 45cm 3/8" 68DL 050 1,3mm. I went to Lowes and bought an 18" Husqvarna chain which obviously did not work(too small). So I brought it back and bought the 20" Husqvarna chain that says it's compatible with the 55 Rancher. On that 20" chain box it says, Chain Type: H80 72V. Drive Links 72. Pitch 3/8". Gauge .050". File size 7/32"(5.5mm). This 20" chain is too long. I even tried adjusting the tensioner(Is that what you call it?) to see if that would help. It was still too big. Looking at the old chain(has 80 engraved on each 'tooth'), it's about 19" if I had to guess. What am I doing wrong? I can post pics if that would help. Thanks in advance. -Joel

EDIT: Thank you everyone! With all your help I was able to obtain the chain I needed. Special thanks to Locust Cutter for the direct link!
Thanks so much!

Jeffery's Crossing down 39 towards Bunn carries Husqvarna saws and Oregon chain. That's your closest Husky dealer. I head down there occasionally. He's okay.

Latest posts

Back